Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam swap and no oil pressure AFTER intial start-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
sounds like the pressure relieve valve in the oil pump is stuck. happened to me a couple of years ago on my first cam swap. probably need to put a new oil pump and o ring on it anyway with that many miles while your in there for added insurance.
That's what I was thinking too.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck guys. I hope its something simple for ya'lls sake. I want to agree with the guys saying its the oil pump.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dirt isnt gonna spin that bearing that quick. I would think it would cause other problesm before spinning a bearing anyways.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:52 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

I am sure this has already been checked out but what if youe oil pressure sending unit went bad at that moment and sent a zero pressure signal? i am an optimist... but it usually bites me in the *** anyways.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Well, remember that if anything gets dropped down into your engine and makes it to the pan (dirt, pieces of bearing, etc) it has to go through the oil pump first before it goes through the filter. Regardless, its something to do with the oil pump or you would have some kind of pressure. My oil pump wasnt touched either and it happened.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Well we didn't change the oil pump or timing chain so that's why Cody and I are doubtful it's that. We are a little worried that some dirt somehow got internally into the engine, but there's no way of knowing until it's torn down I guess.

P.S.-This is RandomHero on Cody's name
Old 01-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

i have seen this already and it was the oil pump
Old 01-01-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

here's the update- I tear everything down and realize I didn't torque down the 5 of the 16 rocker arms to spec. I decide to do that put everything back together(against Cody's thought that it had nothing to do with those. It didn't work

Now I am reading a tiny bit of oil pressure. I don't know if it's just the guage that is doing it or what, but it is reading to the first notch on the guage.

I sure hope it is the oil pump and not the cam bearing because that would mean I'd have to get my cam fixed and I'd have to pull the motor to swap a new block in(putting a new bearing in isn't worth it)
Old 01-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill make the judgement call tomorrow when I pull the cam out and look at the journals. I honestly just dont see how the pump was working and the engine had good oil pressure then after I revved it up to try and get the lifters to pump up the engine lost oil pressure.

What should I look at on the oil pump to see if it failed? Obviously take it apart and look at the rotor and housing but what else?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
Dirt isnt gonna spin that bearing that quick. I would think it would cause other problesm before spinning a bearing anyways.
Are you serious?

You realize the bearing tolerance on the cam is all of about the size of a **** hair, if any dirt got knocked into the top of the heads it drains right onto the lifters which goes right onto the cam which coincendently just happens to be right by the cam journals. A little spec of dirt can get in between the journal and bearing which creates friction between the two surfaces causing them to gauld and spin the bearing out of it oil journal. Please dont post if you dont know what you are talking about. Dirt spins bearings period, why do you think it is so pertanent to change the oil after doing any work on the motor?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ill make the judgement call tomorrow when I pull the cam out and look at the journals. I honestly just dont see how the pump was working and the engine had good oil pressure then after I revved it up to try and get the lifters to pump up the engine lost oil pressure.

What should I look at on the oil pump to see if it failed? Obviously take it apart and look at the rotor and housing but what else?

Take the relieve spring and plunger out also and check it out. It being jambed is probably the reason for this, although it may not show it after it has been taken apart. Put a new oring in also, even if the old one looks okay.

Quick Reply: Cam swap and no oil pressure AFTER intial start-up