Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam swap parts, a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cam swap parts, a few questions..

Hey guys im in the planning stages of my cam swap now.. It will be going in my 200K 5.3..

I've read alot about putting a LS6 valley cover on, what is the advantage of doing this? i've searched but didnt come up with anything talking about the advantages of it.

I'll also be swapping to 243 heads and milling them some to bump compression. I'll be keeping my stock rockers but i want to do the trunion upgrade.
1. How hard is it to press the needle bearings out of the rockers and intstall the new ones? What different methods have yall used?
2. I want my compression to be at 10:1 or maybe 10.2:1, I already have a 93 octane BB tune on the truck so i know i can handle the extra compression but i dont want to push it too far. I also want to run the stock MLS gasket (.051" thickness i think) so how much would i have to mill the 243's to get my target compression ratio? Also how will i know if i have to mill the intake side of the head to make sure the intake will still bolt up/align properly? I'm using the stock LM7 truck intake..

Sorry about all the questions.. Thanks guys
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I"m running 11.4:1 compression in a daily driver. You can bump the compression up a bit more than 10:1 if your not going to run the cheap stuff. Also I built this 408 iron block with an LS6 valley cover. It has the built in PCV system the is plumbed right to the intake. Quick, easy, and effective. Also looks clean.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i wouldnt mide going up even further on the compression but i'll be using the same 243's down the road in FI setup where ill be pushing about 10psi thats why i didnt want to mill them too much..

With the LS6 valley cover i wouldnt need to run the pcv in the driver side valve cover and all that extra crap? I would just bolt the valley cover on and its done? is it more effective about not using oil?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

10:1 is a good number for 10psi. The LS6 valley cover has the built in PCV valve system on the underside of the cover. I think it does a great job of not using oil. You can cap the drivers side valve cover. Hook the valley cover to the intake, and run fresh metered air to the passenger side valve cover. Thats all it takes.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oakley6575
10:1 is a good number for 10psi. The LS6 valley cover has the built in PCV valve system on the underside of the cover. I think it does a great job of not using oil. You can cap the drivers side valve cover. Hook the valley cover to the intake, and run fresh metered air to the passenger side valve cover. Thats all it takes.
You say by running fresh metered air to the passenger side valve cover, do you mean by the stock setup.. Little hose from the throttle body directly to the passenger side valve cover?

I appreciate all the help, any other info about the heads and milling?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

You wont get oil in the intake runners if you use the LS6 valley cover.

Also dont get too greedy with compression if your going to boost it.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Appreciate the input TIM Z, thats why im only planning to run around 10:1 to keep some good low end when im not in boost..

I was hoping that the ls6 valley cover would solve my problems but im planning on doing a catch can too to be safe..
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Also a question, you going turbo or Roots blower?

The LS6 valley cover will not fit under a magnacharger lower tub.

Yeah 10:1 is a nice compression for boost and driveability
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes about the metered air. You just want fresh air after the MAF. So the throttle body port to the valve cover is perfect.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Yes about the metered air. You just want fresh air after the MAF. So the throttle body port to the valve cover is perfect.
Ok, just wanted to make sure we were thinking the same thing..the current 5.3 ill be doing these mods to will remain n/a.. im only planing on swapping the 243 to my 6.0 when i do the swap and the 6.0 will be getting the tvs1900.. so i dont have any worries with the ls6 valley cover on my 5.3..

I need some help trying to figure out my head setup, ill be keeping stock valve size.. i just want to have them milled and rebuilt with decent springs since im doing a cam.. thjs will be a daily driver so it needs to be reliable.. im still trying to figure out what kind of milling i'll have to do with the 243's..

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Cam swap parts, a few questions..