Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam swap very unhappy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Nelson has been tuning for years and thousands of setups thats how. BlueCajun ran his mail order tune when he was running 12.50s, obviously he knows a little something about tuning
I don't think he was implying that nelson was a bad tuner... Just maybe something was set up wrong... Everyone screws up every now and then...
Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No im not saying he is a bad tuner at all loved my last tune truck ran great. The only thing that was wierd about the swap when i first started the truck it sounded like a stuck lifter for like two or three min then went away never came back is that normal? I did the swap all at once so the lifters shouldnt of bled down i thought that was strange but like i said never came back.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm from Chicagoland and it sounds like the tune to me also. My buddy jeff at rush racing does all my tunning, give him a call 219 322-7895 he stays extremely busy but will get back to u eventually LOL
Old 06-07-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about pushrod length? Did you check it? I would def degree the cam also , there's a lot of variables..............
Old 06-07-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bring it to a tuner so they can, get it on a dyno and put it on a computer and just see whats going on...
Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NVS05GMC
No im not saying he is a bad tuner at all loved my last tune truck ran great. The only thing that was wierd about the swap when i first started the truck it sounded like a stuck lifter for like two or three min then went away never came back is that normal? I did the swap all at once so the lifters shouldnt of bled down i thought that was strange but like i said never came back.
Yes Nelson is a great mail order tuner, but when you swapped the cam too many other variables can come into play. You need an AFR gauge, and log also for KR. You are probably either rich, or getting KR from the added valvetrain noise with the more aggressive cam lobes, and stiffer valvesprings. Might need to turn the KR sensitivity down a little.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

I talked to nelson they sent me a retune its better so far only have 30 miles on this tune think its still learning it idles better too the last tune it would surge real bad in traffic. I was still hoping for better mid range ill have to get a dyno tune and some gears when i get some extra cash. Bye the way my check engine light doesnt come on with key on engine off is that normal with his tunes? i didnt pay attention to that on my last tune.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NVS05GMC
Bye the way my check engine light doesnt come on with key on engine off is that normal with his tunes? i didnt pay attention to that on my last tune.
That doesn't sound right...might want to check all of your fuses to start...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you get past a certain level of modifications (I would argue anything other than a CAI), a mail-order tune not only becomes difficult, it gets downright silly, and can even be dangerous (to your engine, at least). Once a cam, headers, etc. get thrown into the mix, the term "mail-order tune" becomes inaccurate....it should really be called "mail-order guess."
Old 06-08-2009, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Once you get past a certain level of modifications (I would argue anything other than a CAI), a mail-order tune not only becomes difficult, it gets downright silly, and can even be dangerous (to your engine, at least). Once a cam, headers, etc. get thrown into the mix, the term "mail-order tune" becomes inaccurate....it should really be called "mail-order guess."
I disagree with that...if a tuner has been in the market long enough and has enough experience, they know what changes have to be made. I have a nelson mail order and it's amazing, I bet many others would say the same. I don't know the magazine, but one did a test on a dyno tune vs. his mail order and he was .4 of a hrosepower less. Just saying not all tuners are at the same level, so don't put them all in the same boat.

Quick Reply: Cam swap very unhappy!