Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

cam, TQ converter needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam, TQ converter needed?

Ok my friend has a 99 silverado with a 5.3L. He wants to get a cam just because he wants that lopey sound. Ive read that you should get a TQ converter with a cam, but is it really needed if you get the truck dyno tuned? PS he is looking at the TR220/220 on a 112LSA. Are there other cams out there that sound like they would work out better? Also his truck has a 3" body lift with 33 inch tires on it, if that makes a difference.
Thanks,
Brandon
Old 11-17-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he's deffinitly going to want a converter. the stock converter isn't enough stall with the stock cam let alone a slightly bigger one. it'll drive like an all together different engine with a new cam and converter.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
he's deffinitly going to want a converter. the stock converter isn't enough stall with the stock cam let alone a slightly bigger one. it'll drive like an all together different engine with a new cam and converter.
Absolutely!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:26 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

YES Big cam and big converter
Old 11-17-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to invent a 'lopey sound generator' because it seems like there is a significant portion of the population that wants the sound, but couldn't care less about any performance increase.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by Naked AV
I need to invent a 'lopey sound generator' because it seems like there is a significant portion of the population that wants the sound, but couldn't care less about any performance increase.
I know right? Let performance go out the window for a racey sound...its like they want their bark to be worse than their bite!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Ok but say if he got this cam and put it in, is the truck gonna be a pain to drive daily? He will prob. want to try to get just the cam now, but im sure in a few months or over the summer he will get a converter. Also I have an m6 so i dont know anything about TQ converters, so what will be a good one, and where would the best place to get one be?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy

Were I come from the last thing you want in a useable 4x4 for off-road use and towing is a high stall a giant cam and small cubes.It all goes against the grain.
The best combo for a big tires on a optimal 4x4 is small cam big cubes and low stall.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the tires he has aren't all that big. about 1.5" over stock. as long as his programming is right he won't have any problems with the tcc failing and with a good cooler he won't have any problems there. more cubes are not something i seen there for an option for him. if he's going to take off roading seriously he needs a 364 or 408 for sure. there's nothing wrong with running a bit higher of a stall. the tb converter will only stall to around 2400 behind that 5.3L. that's hardly a high stall. when it comes to off roading, especially playing in the mud you need something to get the tires spinning and right now type response. a 5.3L with a cam and a stock converter isn't going to give you right now response. it'll give you the hold on, ok here's some power response.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I totally agree and well stated

Quick Reply: cam, TQ converter needed?