Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy James is a running a 224/228 110 and there is no way in hell I would DD that truck but then again I like a nice smooth ride. I thought my 420 with a 224 cam would be nice and smooth but its not, it still has the damn vibration harmonics of a cammed engine
Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, this is a great thread, second I think as a dd i would rather a smaller cam that creates more power under the curve and under 6k-6300. My reason for this is I'm very rarely(only at the track) above 6k. and would much rather have a very responsive cam at idle-6000 than one that lugs until 4500. don't get me wrong I love the sound of a huge cam, and i think thats partially the reason guys buy bigger cams. But I'm no cam expert al IMO, but I can't wait for some results on this, as I'm ready for cam myself.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I'm the one that is going to be the ginnie pig. After I go to the track @ the end of this summer then I'm going to do the swap. The goal is to see if I run a smaller cam, could I run the same, slower or faster time @ the track. This will be interesting. One of the points that littlereddevil is trying to make is a lot of people on here want to "over cam" their engines. From what I have been told these LSx motors don't lilke big cams. I don't know so don't jump on my ***!!!! Thats just the word on the street. I know.........you have to have the supporting mods and that why I'm the pig. I have a lot of mods on my truck plus milled heads. But I will tell you guys something.......I'm pushing close to the 400rwhp if not already there. My truck should run between 12.5-12.7 with colder air and some other tricks up my sleeve. The cam that I'm going to install later has it's work cut out because this set-up I have now is going to be hard to beat!!!!

James
Old 09-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Well James I guess we need to throw your stock heads back on so the skeptics will believe but it doesnt really matter what heads they are as long on the comprason between the lifts and flow are still the same.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I know. I guess we will see what happens later this year..........no, I'm no I'm not throwing those things back on just for the skeptics....LOL!!!! They have a truck.= of their own.

James
Old 09-06-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

my buddy has a 02 silverado rcsb 5.3 and we put a 212/218 in his truck. he ran 9.40s i think with a tb stall. then he stepped up to the tr224/564lift and ran 9.80s. since he has put a 3500 stall,slicks and long tubes and now he is down to 9.20s. i think he would have been better off keeping the smaller cam.
i went from a 224/581 to a 236/600 and it runs the same #s altough i still need long tubes. and my 60ft aint as good as it was but i picked up a few mph on the top.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Well James I guess we need to throw your stock heads back on so the skeptics will believe but it doesnt really matter what heads they are as long on the comprason between the lifts and flow are still the same.
Remember though that I'm just talking about a stock 853(or whatever the stock 5.3L heads are). Don't think I'm talking about 317's or 243's.

And again I'm tell you that you'll still see a difference between a .550 and .650 lift cam but not much of a difference. Also, I wouldn't want to have to spend $300 for valve springs and change them out every year if it was my daily driver just for <10rwhp.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:36 PM

Thats why I said he would need to go up to bigger lift cam to go past the point of where his heads flow well so it would be the same sort of comparison. Either way your arguement is performance vs. maintenance(new valvesprings), some are willing to wrench on their vehicles more then others and to some the extra 10hp or whatever you want to call it is worth 250 bucks and 3 hours of their time a year. I agree with but I dont think the difference is quite as drastic as you are making it out to be. You bring up a good point and to a certain extent I think people are over-camming their trucks no matter what cubes it has. The fastest H/C 6.0 is running mid/high 220s cam and the other guys that I have seen running bigger cams havent done much to justify a larger cam. None-the-less this has been a good discussion and Im sure it has brought up some good points for cam selection.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Thats why I said he would need to go up to bigger lift cam to go past the point of where his heads flow well so it would be the same sort of comparison. Either way your arguement is performance vs. maintenance(new valvesprings), some are willing to wrench on their vehicles more then others and to some the extra 10hp or whatever you want to call it is worth 250 bucks and 3 hours of their time a year. I agree with but I dont think the difference is quite as drastic as you are making it out to be. You bring up a good point and to a certain extent I think people are over-camming their trucks no matter what cubes it has. The fastest H/C 6.0 is running mid/high 220s cam and the other guys that I have seen running bigger cams havent done much to justify a larger cam. None-the-less this has been a good discussion and Im sure it has brought up some good points for cam selection.
I don't want to claim for a second I know more than any of you guys. I just like reading up on things and I figured I'd question the idea that bigger is better. None the less, I'm glad this didn't turn into a pissing match....I would have lost
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Also for what it's worth here's a email from Bob at Cam Motion. I didn't write to him, it was another member but none the less it pretty much duplicates what Richard said, as well as what Cody and Quik said among others:

The answer to your question depends on the application. In general terms the duration and lobe separation is what determines the power band. The lift affects this some. If this is a race car racing power to cubic inch over lifting the valve will actually help the power output. It does this by achieving the .450 peak flow numbers earlier while there is greater piston speed allowing more cfm to be drawn into the engine. If this is a street type engine the .520 to .530 lift should be just fine. There is probably no more than 5 - 15 hp from .520 to .590 lift. I hope this answers your questions.

Quick Reply: cams