Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Camshaft and Rocker arm upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 10:17 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A higher rocker ratio gives you more valve lift with a given cam. Lobe lift times rocker ratio equals valve lift. Also, a higher rocker effectively increases the duration a degree or two. Now, under most circumstances, if you want more valve lift and duration, buy a cam with those specs ground in and you'll get the same results with the stock 1.7:1 rockers in your engine. The roller tips do eliminate a little friction resulting in maybe 4 or 5 HP (at 5,000 to 6,000 RPM's) and your valve lash is adjustable. A higher rocker ratio can be a legitimate boost for an existing low lift cam like the stock cam. The valve lash on most aftermarket rockers are adjustable regardless of the rocker ratio, so this is a good thing because it makes the valve train quieter and sets the proper pre-load on the hydraulic lifters when done properly.

Now if you want to retain your stock cam and install the higher ratio rockers, that might be a good thing. If you are budget limited and just want more performance, get a different cam and reuse your stock rockers.

What are your goals?

Steve Bryant
Old 08-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Well I got a good warranty with my truck so I really don't want to do any internal work. I was thinking of doing ever bolt-on I can then save up for the Radix. I was looking at doing rocker arms, air intake, throttle body spacer, and headers. Any recommendation on any good parts, or maybe any other ideas I am open to suggestions.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:10 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Rocker arms could invalidate your warranty, I'm not sure, but I think so. I was told by a dealer that headers would invalidate the emissions warranty which includes the PCM, but I'm not really sure that this is 100% true either.

Steve
Old 08-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
Now if you want to retain your stock cam and install the higher ratio rockers, that might be a good thing. If you are budget limited and just want more performance, get a different cam and reuse your stock rockers.

What are your goals?

Steve Bryant
I dont see how a budget minded person would benefit from going with a cam instead of the rockers when a cam runs at a min of 300 dollars and it is always recommended to upgrade the lifters and the pushrods in addition to the valve springs. It seems to me that the 450 dollar rockers would be a more worthwhile mod. Also, the amount of labor for rockers compared with a cam swap is night and day. And if I am not mistaken, you can get away with stock springs with the 1.85 rockers( )??

Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Well if something goes wrong bolt-ons are alot easier to replace with stock parts then removing a cam. I think they mark the engine with little colored marks anyway to tell if you have removed any major parts like the intake, water pump, etc. etc. But what should I do about tuning after all the bolt-ons?
Old 08-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ImnotaCrook
Well if something goes wrong bolt-ons are alot easier to replace with stock parts then removing a cam. I think they mark the engine with little colored marks anyway to tell if you have removed any major parts like the intake, water pump, etc. etc. But what should I do about tuning after all the bolt-ons?
Nelson, Westers, LS1edit