Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Camshaft suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1FREEK
Proof that a stock truck intake can flow up high! This was my 06 lm7 5.3, stock long block, intake manifold, and throttle body, just a custom grind 224/232 581/595 114lsa 0 advance, AEM CAI and pacesetter LT's with a cutout.

HP is on the left and TQ on the right, granted the numbers might be somewhat inflated, the power kept climbing all the way to 6500, and might have gone higher with more rpm yet!

I would like to know how that is making power that high when an ls1 with ls6 intake and a cam that size usually peaks around 6300-6400? How does it run at the track with that setup?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00ecsb6.0
LOL well looks like it wont last long. My right foot is made of lead! I always run the WOT switch and want to shift around 6800 but 6500 will do. Yall will prolly see me on here in a few weeks lookin for a trans. I called and TR and he recommended me the lvl 2 cam. I also called TS and they recommended a cam of similar size. I do agree because there are so many cams out there and its alot of work for trial and error. I like to do it right the first time and want to make sure I pick the one best suited for my setup. If the finances allow me I may scoop up some 243's. Porting heads will run me about 700 bucks im sure..
Don't really understand why you are so set on a certain rpm shift point instead of making the most usuable power for your truck especially since you seemed to be interested in racing some. It's your truck though. Hit me up on here when you get it put together and maybe we can line up with my TBSS with bolt ons and full weight. I just moved about an hour North of you in Hburg. My son is a tuner if you need it tuned when you get done.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
Don't really understand why you are so set on a certain rpm shift point instead of making the most usuable power for your truck especially since you seemed to be interested in racing some. It's your truck though. Hit me up on here when you get it put together and maybe we can line up with my TBSS with bolt ons and full weight. I just moved about an hour North of you in Hburg. My son is a tuner if you need it tuned when you get done.

Well I do a little runnin on the street and ran a truck with a cam in his and his pulled on mine in second until he shifted then I came back around him. Most likely due to cam power ban and rpms right? Thats honestly the only reason. BUT if it will make more power shifting at 6k rpms I would not have a problem shifting at that instead. I think I know your son threw wes actually. Im not gettin onside a TBSS on the street lol you must be crazy
Old 12-31-2011, 05:16 AM
TECH Regular

Well I do a little runnin on the street and ran a truck with a cam in his and his pulled on mine in second until he shifted then I came back around him. Most likely due to cam power ban and rpms right? Thats honestly the only reason. BUT if it will make more power shifting at 6k rpms I would not have a problem shifting at that instead. I think I know your son threw wes actually. Im not gettin onside a TBSS on the street lol you must be crazy
Most likely it was because of gearing and the spacing of the gearing on a 4l60E from 2nd-3rd and it being heavy truck with big cam. The bigger the cam the more gear and converter you need to make up for the loss of low end and also at the recovery rpm after the shift. I wasn't saying that you couldn't shift higher than 6000 when you get a cam. What I was trying to let you understand was it all has to work together or you won't be happy. Since you kinda want the best of both worlds you need to find a happy medium. 3.73 -4.10 gears depending on if you plan on ever spraying it, a cam that makes better average power over peak dyno number and a converter to match all that and when you have it tuned and see where it does peak , then you usually want to shift about 300-400 rpm higher and that can depend on the converter too. Yea my son is Jacob and he is friends with Wes. You know how good Wes truck runs and it has LS6 cam and stock converter w/ 3.73. You are about 400- 500 lbs heavier being extra cab. I know a guy up in George Co that has an 06 SS truck and it weighs about 5300+ lbs with him in it. It has a 205 CC runner head and small cam , supporting bolt ons, a 10.5 in 3000 vig converter and it only made 380 rwhp ,but made well over 400ft lbs @ 3000 rpms.It shifts at 6300 and is a beast on the street. You can barely here the cam and only if you new what it sounded like stock it is so mild. I saw him lay waste to another SS with L92 heads, big cam, bigger converter and lighter weight. He ran off on him bad by buslengths from a dig and from a roll out of site. Goes to show you bigger is not always better. You should give Jacob a holler. he has access to a dyno in JXN and he can get you hooked up on making your truck run like it should. 601-616-8888 is his number. Send him a text, easier to get him that way. Good luck. Oh yea ask Jacob about the TBSS he ran with TFS heads and custom cam the other night and how that turned out for that guy.lol

Last edited by Killer5.3; 12-31-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Smaller cams with small chamber heads seem to be were its at on these, some of the best running trucks and cars we have built are this way, the converter you need to really pull good times with bigs cams is just crazy, id stay with a mid 220s cam and look into getting some smaller chamber heads that flow good.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jake99
Smaller cams with small chamber heads seem to be were its at on these, some of the best running trucks and cars we have built are this way, the converter you need to really pull good times with bigs cams is just crazy, id stay with a mid 220s cam and look into getting some smaller chamber heads that flow good.
Velocity is where it is at. Good advice.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Teching In

I was hoping the higher rpm shift would help with the recovery rpms after a shift but if its going to be pulling better by shifting sooner ill do that. We will see how it goes during tuning. And if this cam does fall thru I will go smaller. I kno the TR220-112 does some work in a 5.3 lol ill give him a call when I get all this done. May be a little while but im deffinetly going to do it. My brother has a subaru wrx and thought he was just guna kill my truck. Little did he know, I got him by about a second at the track on motor. About 1.7 seconds on the bottle! Haha. He's in mobile gettin a bigger turbo, piping, injectors, fuel pump and some other stuff this weekend just to beat me. And you all know im not guna let that happen under estimated my truck for sure. It actually gets under estimated frequently by many ppl until the race is over!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

I was hoping the higher rpm shift would help with the recovery rpms after a shift but if its going to be pulling better by shifting sooner ill do that. We will see how it goes during tuning. And if this cam does fall thru I will go smaller. I kno the TR220-112 does some work in a 5.3 lol ill give him a call when I get all this done. May be a little while but im deffinetly going to do it. My brother has a subaru wrx and thought he was just guna kill my truck. Little did he know, I got him by about a second at the track on motor. About 1.7 seconds on the bottle! Haha. He's in mobile gettin a bigger turbo, piping, injectors, fuel pump and some other stuff this weekend just to beat me. And you all know im not guna let that happen under estimated my truck for sure. It actually gets under estimated frequently by many ppl until the race is over!

That what I was saying about the gearing and converter choice affecting your shift recovery rpm. You can go bigger than TR220 with the 6.0 if you get your compression up by either swapping heads or milling your 317. If it was me with the gear you have and the fact that you have a kit I would do this. Get your hands on a set of 243/ 799 heads and have a good valve job and have them milled to about 60 CC chambers and use a .051 headgasket. Get with a reputable co. and have them spec a cam that will work well with that head and your truck intake. Something in the 220 - 222 intake and 226- 228 exhaust range and probbaly around .580 -.600 lift LSA 112- 114 on a 108 -109 ICL. Overlap is real important as far as how it makes it power and keeps your dynamic compression up so that it has really good throttle response. I am by no means a cam expert , but one thing I do know is that a cam designed for a lighter car will work , but it will not make optimal or the type of power you need for a heavier truck. That is why it is worth it to let soemone who knows what they are doing to have you a cam ground. Match it with a converter that puts your engine where it needs to be in its powerband and you will have a much quicker truck. Stall speed alone is not the only aspect of converter selection that is important.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shift recovery will be determined by the converter..
Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Shift recovery will be determined by the converter..
You are 100% right. I was talking about both shift recovery rpm and power at the shift. Converter effects how far rpm drop after the shift. Gearing plays a role in the overall performance and how loose the converter may be is what I was trying to convey. That the whole combo need to match or compliment one another.

Quick Reply: Camshaft suggestions!