Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

can i reuse oil pan gasket?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i reuse oil pan gasket?????

well i just changed the oil pump on my buddies 04 escalade. i bolted the oil pan back but i just kinda tightened them cross corner pattern. i think i may have over tightened them because it is leaking towards the front of the engine. if i did in fact over tighten them can i just back of the bolts some or do i have to replace the entire gasket? also does anybody know the tightening sequence for our trucks? thanks fellas
Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine has been on three different motors, no leaks. We just do a star pattern of sorts
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure can... I have put a new one on my engine, still have a small leak thowe, somnabitch..
Old 02-03-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

and i notcied on ls1how.com, it says torque to 18ft lbs, isnt that basically like half a turn past hand tight?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dry_kill
and i notcied on ls1how.com, it says torque to 18ft lbs, isnt that basically like half a turn past hand tight?
more like 9/16ths past hand tight, but depends on how tight your hand tight is.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you put any sealant around the place where the timing cover gasket hits the oil pan gasket? That's a common place for leaks.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dry_kill
Buy a proper torque wrench. If you do all the bolts by hand you'll end up with all kinds of uneven pressure of the gasket which may lead to leaks.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunder550
Did you put any sealant around the place where the timing cover gasket hits the oil pan gasket? That's a common place for leaks.
ya i made sure i put plenty of rtv gasket maker
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

The Block/Oil Pan/Timing Cover junction(Bank1 and Bank2 sides) is a spot where leaks can happen. GM has a procedure for aligning this stuff which is pages long and uses special factory tools. The timing cover bolts pull it against the block(you do have to make sure the cover seal is concentric with the crankshaft snout). You also have to make sure the front face of the pan is snug against the rear face of the timing cover. A bead of RTV helps prevent leaks at this junction, but I think you'll notice when you disassemble the motor for the first time there is no RTV used at the factory so it can be assembled without it and still not leak.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 AM
JJB
TECH Apprentice

Dude you gotta get a TQ wrench if you plan on doing any serious wrenching at all...I put two TQ wrenches together to check eachother before I start using on...yes i almost always TQ past factory specs of course using common sense and years of experiance due to re-using gasketts and such but at least i get a feel for the right TQ...differnt size bolt heads feel different as with extensions and such...I only use copper RTV years of wrenching have taught me that especially around timing cover to oil-pan...GM does put some factory plumbers putty I call it around that area anyway but its really antizize/combo rtv...but yea reuse gazketts GM makes the best gasketts now anyway / exhasut/ oil pan /trans/etc.....the days of the old cork are almost gone unless you get aftermarket ...

Quick Reply: can i reuse oil pan gasket?????