Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Can OEM metal exhaust manifold gaskets be reused?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can OEM metal exhaust manifold gaskets be reused?

Well, right when I decided to sell or trade in my truck, it decides to give me a hiccup. One of the headers gaskets is leaking, tick, tick, tick.. I think it's the drivers side which was the easier side to do but I thought if I have to replace it, I might as well as take the Gibsons off (Ebay or forum sale) and put the stock exhaust manfolds back on. So my question is, can I reuse the stock metal exhaust manifold gaskets? My lower back isn't looking forward to it, last time I was sore for about 4 days, getting old. If I trade it in on this first deal, I'll just leave it as is and see if the dealer notices it, it's harder to hear outside but very noticable in my garage.
Jim
Old 03-04-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

uh oh.. i heard my engine start making that tick tick tick noise today
Old 03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Y2K Silverado
Well, right when I decided to sell or trade in my truck, it decides to give me a hiccup. One of the headers gaskets is leaking, tick, tick, tick.. I think it's the drivers side which was the easier side to do but I thought if I have to replace it, I might as well as take the Gibsons off (Ebay or forum sale) and put the stock exhaust manfolds back on. So my question is, can I reuse the stock metal exhaust manifold gaskets? My lower back isn't looking forward to it, last time I was sore for about 4 days, getting old. If I trade it in on this first deal, I'll just leave it as is and see if the dealer notices it, it's harder to hear outside but very noticable in my garage.
Jim
Yeah, I used mine with my JBA's instead of the JBA supplied gasket. The stockers work very well. If I were you, I'd smear a very light coat of permatex ultra copper gasket sealant on them too. That stuff is awesome for exhausts.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
Yeah, I used mine with my JBA's instead of the JBA supplied gasket. The stockers work very well. If I were you, I'd smear a very light coat of permatex ultra copper gasket sealant on them too. That stuff is awesome for exhausts.
I did that when I put the Gibson's on using the supplied gaskets, I can't believe the darn thing is leaking with a gasket and Permatex copper on there.
Jim
Old 03-04-2004, 08:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Y2K Silverado
I did that when I put the Gibson's on using the supplied gaskets, I can't believe the darn thing is leaking with a gasket and Permatex copper on there.
Jim
I can see that happening if the gibson gaskets were that cardboard/graphite stuff. They suck!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:29 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GM steel gasets are the best. I tried the fiber gaskets that came with my Hamm headersyears ago, nothing but leaks. I then swapped back to my GM gaskets and had no issues. I've had my headers on and off both trucks several times and have reused the GM gaskets without issues.

Y2K - you sure you want a dodge? At least get a new F150. Better truck and much better resale value when you swap back to GM. I'm serious. Look at how cheap the dodges are and how many there are on the roads. But being the first model of the new ford, you'll have more value in it later.