Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Can someone explain how the VVT works on the 2.9/3.7/4.2 engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone explain how the VVT works on the 2.9/3.7/4.2 engines

As all of you may have gathered by now I'm probably going to be picking up a new Colorado in the next couple of weeks....I've researched the hell out of these trucks and have some big plans for it in the next couple of months, but I do still have a few questions about them....the biggest one being:

How does the VVT work on these motors ?? and how will the VVT affect using a turbocharger (I'm worried about compressor surge when the valve timing changes)
Old 08-15-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind....I checked GM Powertrain and got my answer:

Originally Posted by www.gmpowertrain.com
The Vortec 3.7L I5 carries over the VVT (variable valve timing) or cam phasing system employed on the 3.5L I-5, which was one of the world’s first truck engines with this technology. The cam phaser changes exhaust cam lobe timing relative to the cam-drive sprocket, which in turn varies exhaust valve timing on the fly, maximizing engine performance for given demands and conditions. At idle, for example, the exhaust cam is at the full advanced position for minimum intake-valve overlap. That allows exceptionally smooth idling. Under other operating conditions, the phaser adjusts to deliver optimal exhaust-valve timing for performance, drivability and fuel economy. The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response or drivability. Because it manages valve overlap at optimum levels, cam phasing also eliminates the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.

As was the spline-piston phaser, the new vane phaser is actuated by hydraulic pressure from engine oil, and managed by a solenoid that operates to a calibrated duty-cycle. Yet the operating mechanism is different. Instead of a helical spline and piston, the vane phaser uses a wheel with four vanes (like a propeller) to turn the camshaft relative to the cam-sprocket. The solenoid directs oil to pressure points on either side of the four vanes; the vanes, and camshaft, turn in the direction of the oil flow. The more pressure, the more the phaser and camshaft turn. Like the previous phaser, the vane phaser turns the Vortec I5’s camshaft a maximum 24 degrees relative to the sprocket.