Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Can you guys help me fill in the blanks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you guys help me fill in the blanks?

Hey guys,

I am new to this site and looking for a little input.

To try and keep this post somewhat short, I have a 04 2500HD, LQ4, 4L80E. Right now I have a CAI, black bear tune, pacesetter LT’s, full 2.5” exhaust with 2 18” dynomax bullets and no cats, I am very happy with the performance and drivability that this combo has given me. Just I want more!

I am in the process of planning out a cam and converter swap. I also plan to pull the heads to have them milled.

I have had a few mixed reviews as to my power goal, but if I could make 400hp to the wheels I would be absolutely ecstatic but I will not disappointed if I don’t make it.

What would be a good cam and converter choice that will give good street manners as well as make optimal power?

I am also looking for a little more info on the whole process of milling the heads and what extra steps I will need to take to do so?

Thanks guys!
Sorry for the long first post.
Kody
Old 04-13-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

I'm assuming you tow from time to time being a 2500 HD. I would slap on a used tvs1900 and put in a HD shift kit and be done with it. It will make tons of torque and should easily make 450+hp on your motor. It will also cost about the same as a cam/heads/converter swap as well and if you ever decide you want more power you can then do a cam swap. I did it opposite: put in a cam designed for a NI motor before I decided to turbo my truck and now I will have to swap the cam out again for something more boost friendly.

Last edited by Alpinestar; 04-13-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to the quest for more power
Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Yes I do a little towing here and there but mostly I bought the truck because I got a good deal on it. And as far FI it has crossed my mind and still does, just if I do FI I will just buy a short block and go all in on it.

I am sure with a good cam and converter swap it should give me enough giddy up to surprise most cars around my area.

I have looked around and seems like the texas speed 228R and 224R is a good mild choice for LQ4's I am leaning more towards the 228R just for that little bit extra.

I am looking at circle d's converters, with a 224R-228R what stall would be best for all around use? and would I need a single disc or should I be a man and get the multi disc converter?

Afterburner, thanks for the welcome... But I was bit by that bug along time ago. I just get nervous when it comes to my daily driver.

Thanks
Kody
Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Mines a daily driver too!!! haha I just walk to work till friday so I can afford the fuel and drag fees...... But honestly the best tip I can give you is : do your research and buy all your parts and tools to complete the install as a professional would. If you can't do it right don't half *** it. I unfortunately have learned this the hard way.... TSP cams are a great start or Thunder Racing has many different choices as well. Just a matter of trying to figure out what you want out of your engine....... Good luck and you will find out PT.Net is here for all your ?'s
Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Launching!

I am getting my converter at the end of June and my cam and I will get my heads milled a little after that. Thats why I am trying to plan as much as I can now.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of stall speed you plan to run with a 228R cam.. Bigger isn't always better in terms of cam choices in big heavy trucks.. The 228 is going to take longer to make the power then a cam with a lower duration, so a big converter is going to be a must for it to beni the big duration of that 228..
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
What kind of stall speed you plan to run with a 228R cam.. Bigger isn't always better in terms of cam choices in big heavy trucks.. The 228 is going to take longer to make the power then a cam with a lower duration, so a big converter is going to be a must for it to beni the big duration of that 228..

I am not real sure, I am trying to get a overall combo together if that makes since?

I also have 33's with 4:10's if that helps making a choice.

I am not looking for a race truck or anything like that, I just want a nice driving truck that will surprise the unsuspecting ricer or mustang

Thanks
Kody
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To run that cam you will need or atleast want to have a converter in the 3000 up range.. I would personally go lower, even poss with a split duration cam in that particular truck... Just do a search on cam choices, do some reading. Don't just jump right in..
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Mangled03gmc;4682021]To run that cam you will need or atleast want to have a converter in the 3000 up range.. I would personally go lower, even poss with a split duration cam in that particular truck... Just do a search on cam choices, do some reading. Don't just jump right in..[/QUOTE

I am trying to do as much research as I can. It's just the cam and converter has always been on the voodoo side of go fast parts to me.

Just because I can't help but show her off...

Quick Reply: Can you guys help me fill in the blanks?