Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

car intake questions ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 10:49 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default car intake questions ideas

i didn't follow the whole truck to car intake swap. with the whole lower priced stroker kits and killer aftermarket heads hopefully there may be a real need for us to upgrade. sorry if this has all been hashed over before.

what stops us from just swaping the intake, assume electric fans for starters. i only see 2 things that could be in the way, one is the idler pully and the other is the water pump output. looks to me like a ls1 water pump with the forward facing output could be put on but might put the hose close to the belt. well i can see a fix for the belt and idler pully problem in one fix, here it is.

take a piece of think steel, like 1/4 inch or so and cut it down into a triangle to fit the 3 top bolts in the alternator/power steering bracket then tap a hole anywhere you want and move the idler pully to that piece of metal, might have to weld a nut or extra pad on the back of the plate to make sure there is pleanty to bolt the idler to. by relocating it there you could get it out of the way of the intake tube and even raise up the belt where it shoots past the new water pump output. then you might have to grind off some of the old idler mount.

seems like a prety easy swap, what was involved in using the fbody brackts or how did others do the swap?

there would probably be some fuel line issues to work out too but i would use that opertunity to upgrade to some big fbody injectors and some big rails and all that good stuff.

soo? lsx intake with the giant TB? hmmmmmm
Old 11-20-2003, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's the water pump thing. I'm not at all sure though. Lemmie find a pic and see if this idler will work.

:grin:

Nope .. that wouldn't work, unless maybe you went hacking on the new piece...
Old 11-20-2003, 06:13 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Problem is the idler pulley. I think the waterpump tube can be turned or bent to fit.

A couple of guys have done this swap. Someone got a smaller idler pulley off a fbod and someone else built a bracket similar to your description to move the pulley.

I had a thought to relocate the TB, but haven't tested it out yet.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:35 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm VERY interested in this! I dunno if the truck intake is gonna be able to flow enough for what I wanna do!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Banned

the truck intake flows plenty for whatever you want to do....it just doesn't flow the same numbers at the same rpm as the other intakes.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:46 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, thanks man. I appreciate the input. Is that why everyone switches from the LS1 to the LS6 intake? There's not that big a difference between the LS6 and the truck intake as there is between the LS1 and LS6, but when I want to run twin turbos, so I'm sure that I'll need all the flow that I can get.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

If you decide to do this, that F-bod electric water pump may be a good investment at this point in the game too. Then that LSX intake should flop into place...
Old 11-20-2003, 03:17 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Slowverado
the truck intake flows plenty for whatever you want to do....it just doesn't flow the same numbers at the same rpm as the other intakes.
No, it doesn't.

from everything i am reading if you go with a large displacement heads and cam motor any of the 3 stock intakes(ls1,ls6,truck) are a significant restriction. trading up to a ls6 intake probably isn't worth the time but one of the new intakes just coming to the market might just be the hot ticket. at the same time put in some fbody injectors and a electric water pump. hmmm.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:59 PM
Banned

everything i've seen that tested the car intakes and the truck intakes have actually shown exactly what everyone expects, that the truck intake flows more low but falls flat up top, and the car is the opposite, i've seen these facts published in Hot Rod magazine as well as GMHTP magazine so if i'm wrong it's based on their facts. there are SEVERAL 400+ ci motors running stock LS6 intake manifolds and making insane power, sure they would benefit from some kick *** sheet metal intake manifold with a 90mm tb but i doubt if there's more than 15rwhp to be had there.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:28 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Slowverado
everything i've seen that tested the car intakes and the truck intakes have actually shown exactly what everyone expects, that the truck intake flows more low but falls flat up top, and the car is the opposite, i've seen these facts published in Hot Rod magazine as well as GMHTP magazine so if i'm wrong it's based on their facts. there are SEVERAL 400+ ci motors running stock LS6 intake manifolds and making insane power, sure they would benefit from some kick *** sheet metal intake manifold with a 90mm tb but i doubt if there's more than 15rwhp to be had there.
everyone agrees there isn't much point in upgrading to the ls6 intake, have you seen all the new ls intakes coming onto the market? there will be alot more choices soon and they are not custom sheet metal set ups.

it is widely believed that the ls6 intake is the restriction for all out stroker motors, with the price of strokers coming down and after market heads coming to the market there will almost for sure be a need for something better than the ls6 intake. i am talking about everyone haveing 500+rwhp NA for around $6000 complete. an intake will be helpfull at that level. more than 15hp i bet.

Quick Reply: car intake questions ideas