Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Carburator LS1 intake from Edelbrock

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't really know how much "CHEAPER" it will be to do this, but it will be easier to tune for the old school type guy....it wont be as mileage friendly likely, but it will be cool. i wasn't aware that they had a kit to convert it so the coils still fired and what-not. it seems like a pretty cool kit. i'm gonna have to look into this more just incase i want to do this in our Chevy II project as well....but i'll go with something like the Accel fuel injection system with a FAST setup if we do that.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

I did a LT1 carb'd in my 70 SWB. That was a stupid idea, I don't think they put a lot of thought into that manifold or anything else about the carb setup. Especially with the Opti-crap. I thought about going carb on the LS1 in my Camaro, then I remembered that I acquired a Painless Wiring Kit for an LS1 for free, and decided that I would be an idiot for not doing that.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Banned

yeah, those free wiring harnesses usually will do that to ya.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Teching In

I have seen people praising their carb LT1s. It all depends if you can tune a carb or not. As for gas mileage, properly tuned carbs get decent mileage and should be near what a fuel injected LS1 gets. Remember the LS1 gets its great mileage from overdrive especially on the T56. Carbs got the axe over emissions or we would probably still be using them. There are seriously people getting 22-26 mpg on the Hwy with carb'd 350s in thirdgen camaros and firebirds. These cars are daily drivers and most have over 300hp. It all depends on who is tuning the carb and if the proper carb was picked. You don't want a 750DP on a mild 350 for example. A 600cfm Vac secondary would be a much better choice.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:54 AM
TECH Resident

I guess I didn't look at the manifold or read about it too extensively. I need to read about it I guess, wonder if I can keep my pro billet and digital 6, maybe just not the msd HVC coil?? Definately something to look at. I would eventually put fi on it, but for now since I need a new motor anyway, why not???
Old 11-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mudz5.3
I guess I didn't look at the manifold or read about it too extensively. I need to read about it I guess, wonder if I can keep my pro billet and digital 6, maybe just not the msd HVC coil?? Definately something to look at. I would eventually put fi on it, but for now since I need a new motor anyway, why not???
You won't be using the pro billet. There will be no distributor. It will have sensors and a MSD timing computer which will fire the individual cylinder coils. So I doubt you will be using anything.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Teching In

From thirdgen.org
http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...hlight=mileage
OK, heres the run down...

Stock - 86 IROC with a TPI 305.

Now - 86 IROC with a carbed 350.

Alright, the motor was swapped out before I got it. So when I purchased the car it had a non-CC dist. trying to work with a CC-Q-Jet. Needless to say gas mileage was out the window, not to mention performance. So I swapped on an Intake and Holley 600 Carb. with Vac. Sec., not expecting much, but the difference was night and day. Better performance and way better gas mileage. I can see 24 mpg crusing 70mph on the freeway for a long trip. City cruising Mpg falls off, but not that much. But thats to be expected with occassional romps on the pedal.

Overall, a carb can be made to be a great daily driver with minimal keep up, esp. now a days. A little tune every now and again, but alot less expensive than EFI. I can usually tune mine with just a Vac. gage and looking at the plugs, try that with TPI or TBI .

Also, the car is a true daily driver, maybe 30 miles a day, but I will snap a pic of my dusty carbed engine bay if you want.

Half Holley and Half Flowmaster clip.
http://www.fbody.com/members/StngKlr/MVC-096V.MPG