Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cat-back system recommendation. 2004 Silverado VHO.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat-back system recommendation. 2004 Silverado VHO.

I sold my 2001 Silverado HD Crewcab a year and a half ago and have missed having a truck. That and I recently bought a 2000 Camaro SS with a turbo 400 conversion meant that I need a tow vehicle to get it to and from the track.
As luck would have it, last month I came upon a rare truck in really good shape: A one-owner 2004 Silverado VHO (later model years called Vortech Max). The price was right so I snapped it up.

This truck is more agile compared to my 2001, which only had an LQ4. This is "less truck with more motor" (LQ9) and I'd like to do a couple minor bolt-ons to enhance this feeling. Airaid cold air kit is already on the way, but I'm also contemplating a cat-back to free up a few more ponies and maybe gain a little MPG.

According to what I have read, there were only about 900 Silverado VHOs made in 2004 as it was the first year. That means the listings for many aftermarket exhaust systems don't specifically address if they fit my truck or not (2004, ext cab, 6.0L).

Any advice on which cat-back system will bolt right on my exact truck without any fabbing, enhance performance, and not break my wallet?

Looking for maybe a little more exhaust note, but NOT for something loud. It will be a cruiser and occasional tow vehicle, not a racer.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

What is your current exhaust now as far as configuration goes? Does it have a single inlet muffler or is dual headpipe as with other 6 liters? I ask only as I looked at what was supposed to be an 04 VHO and it had the same exhaust on it as any 4.8/5/3 truck did. Order accordingly to what you find. Personally..... I like stock quiet so I do little in the way of exhaust. I have a Flo Pro muffler on my 05 and it's nice and quiet as well as free flowing.

Yours being an 04 still has the 10 bolt in the back too as the 14 bolt was brought in for 2005. I missed out on an 05 VHO myself..... good or bad I don't know but it was super low miles and fully loaded. 2wd's are sorta useless up here though, lol.

The best thing you could do to the truck though is tune it. And honestly being it's an 04 and probably still has a clutch fan if it's stock...... E fans.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks for the input.

Yes, it has the smaller rear diff and also still has a clutch fan.

A tune is likely in it's future once I install the cold air intake kit and do whatever I decide to do with the exhaust. Then, I'll try to leave it alone because my Camaros are more than capable of spending all of my money.

Luckily I'm in Texas so no real winter and the most off-roading my trucks see is maybe a gravel parking lot. So, the 2WD is all I need.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't remember off roading anything I have owned in my life, unless you consider gravel roads offroad. My problem is consistent and comes every year....... snow.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Welcome to the VHO club, I've got an '06 Sierra VHO.
What you've got is basically a Silverado SS in sheeps clothing, so anything that will fit an SS will fit yours.
The lq9, (in a SS or VHO), uses a 2 3/4" dual exhaust, (no y-pipe), back to what looks to be a dual-in/dual-out muffler that really isn't.
Stay with me here.
The outlet side, (unless it's been modified), will have what will appear to be two-2 3/4" ports out, Y'd back together after the muffler, and a single out behind the RR tire.
But it's not, one side of the Y just goes back into a dead resonating chamber in the rear of the muffler, so i'ts a really a dual-in/single-out.
This set-up is stupid simple to make into a true-dual setup by just hacking off the stock muffler, adding 2 single-in/single-out mufflers of your choice, and fabbing the tailpipes, or dumping them. The problem you'll face is that the 6.0's are a bitch to quiet down and not have resonance. (Ask me how I know that!)
A "full-on" cat-back, IMO, is "way" too expensive for the final results you'll achieve. The factory stuff actually flows pretty darn good, with the exeption of the muffler itself.
For a really cheap and easy way out you might google "Flo-Pro mufflers", they have line of drop-in replacement mufflers, (2500HD series, IIRC), the #2504 and #2505 being REAL dual-in/dual-out mufflers. #2504 has dual 2 1/2" out, but requires fabbing to new tailpipes, or fabbing to the existing tailpipe. The #2505 is a direct fit to the existing stuff both ends. They also have some sound clips of the 2504 on the website. Most muffler shops can get them pretty cheap. (i was quoted $162 installed).
For your best return on money invested, do yourself a favor, and after you get the cai and exhaust done, drive down the road to San Antonio and see Allen at Nelson Performance for a live tune. Best money you'll ever spend.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Or just use the 2503 and it's a direct fit with no modification whatsoever.........
Old 03-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

According to the Flo-Pro tech helper that I talked to, the 2503 is dual-in/false dual-out like the stocker. I know for a fact that the #2506 is set up like the stocker, cause I saw it in person.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry for the bad info above in the last post . I just checked their website, and it shows the 2503 as a dual-in/single out, so if the OP's truck has the y after the muffler, it won't fit....
Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OL' MAN
Sorry for the bad info above in the last post . I just checked their website, and it shows the 2503 as a dual-in/single out, so if the OP's truck has the y after the muffler, it won't fit....
Hmm...... It might as the Vortec Max trucks had that. But being it's an 04 that's why I posed the first question as to configuration. He might need the 2500, 2505 or 2506........ not the 2503 like mine. Different tones for the others and all are designed for the stock HD tail pipe..... which should work with the SS's tailpipe as well.

I know what the 2503 is, I have one on my truck, lol.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 03-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I will have to check into it, in particular the #2505 muffler because I am trying to gain a little flow (power) without spending a lot.

I have Flo-Pro Twisters in the true duals on my '94 Z28.

I'll take a good look under the truck once all this freakin' rain stops.

Here's a couple shots of the truck:

Quick Reply: Cat-back system recommendation. 2004 Silverado VHO.