Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Catch Can Revolution!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Catch Can Revolution!

I have had a Mike Norris catch can in my truck now for about two (2) years after I installed a new motor. Have changed the oil several times and drained the catch can but only got water.
I was told that it was condensation coming out instead of water. But never the less it wasn't oil.

As I was working on the engine this past weekend I looked to the catch can to see how it was draining and if it still had only water coming out. The drain **** was locked shut so I took the can off of the alternator bracket to see what the problem was. As I unscrewed the bottom of the can where the drain **** is, oil came gushing out! I would say that almost half of the can was full of oil and water.

So now I know the catch can works, but why would it only draw moisture (water) thru the drain **** and not oil? Why would water, or condensation, come out and not oil? It had oil in it for sure, dumped it right on top of my sneakers! Think I might just plug the bottom of the can and just unscrew the bottom the next time I check it.

Your thoughts?

Chad

Last edited by ss4chad; 05-16-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Grammar, additional info
Old 05-17-2017, 01:20 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

What you describes seems very typical and fine to me.

Did it have a lot more driving on it when you got the oil out of instead compared to the time it only drained water?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 AM
12 Second Club

Not sure, didn't pay that much attention to it between oil changes. Sadly my transmission took a poop while racing a Pontiac G8. So I am in the midst of removing the tranny, changing the intake and cam, new starter, new crank pulley and waiting for my Monster Transmission to show up to change it.
Also changing my driveshaft and rear end yoke, they suffered catastrophic failure during the race!

Chad
Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Water is denser than oil, so when you open the valve water will come out first. It could be that you either didn't have much at all or your valve was barely opened and didn't let the oil pass through. We're you opening the valve all the way?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

I think the drain **** got cocked over or bent at some point during the installation of the CC. I could only get a turn or two out of it to let any fluid out. Might put another drain **** in it or small valve.

You are correct, water is heavier and probably the reason water was coming out first.

Chad
Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

My air compressor does that. When I open the drain just enough to let the water trickle out, flow stops when the oil (yes, my compressor is worn out) hits the drain valve. Then I open the valve more and the oil will flow.