Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

cats gone and a/f going crazy!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:15 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trever1t
Not to hijack but...
mo input...mo better...

I am looking at having the guy that did my inlet to TB fabrication make an all new y-pipe using the ultra hi-flow magnaflow cats as well...I found a website selling them for $89.50ea
gonna run it like this for awhile though...maybe p/u the cats before they go back up in price...

Last edited by Superado; 12-05-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
Not to hijack but I am experiencing a similar issue but I have Magnaflow HiFlow cats. It reads 14.7~ most of the time then goes way lean (17) or sometimes even reads rich (13) randomly at light partial throttle??
you have a part maf/ part 2bar tune. I believe rick@synergy sets you up closed loop with trim learning on. Fluctuation in part throttle for you could be expected as your o2's switching can been seen in your WB. A little part throttle will throw or swing your afr lean or rich sometimes. Your maf should keep extreme swings in check.

Originally Posted by Superado
"3-No error reported" is what he did I believe...
side note...DJ WBC a/f sensor is installed in driver side post cat location...stock rear sensor is still installed on passenger side...
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! POST CAT. You have no cats anymore, the readings post cat on the WB are gonna be queit different from pre-cat. Now that you took the cats off, you are now seeing that difference.

Last edited by dewmanshu; 12-05-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 PM
11 Second Truck Club

so...the fluctuation is normal I guess...at least a/f w/o cats is compared to post cats before...

how about the "no report" sensor on the other bank...does it have any effect on anything when set to "no report" or does it still have an effect on something...just doesn't report it so it will not throw a code?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 PM
11 Second Truck Club

romped on it today going to work...watched the boost instead of eyes glued on the a/f...
ran @ 8#'s w/ cats...I expected to lose a little w/o cats...
it jumped to 5#'s...rising steadily (with a/f @11.5)
...6#'s...7...8...9...10#'s... ...I backed out of it...

fluke?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how far back is the wideband from the collector? this can have a little do to with it. also, do you know what the guy set the PE enrichment eq to in hptuners? basically at WOT that table calculates what a/f ratio you're going to have. mine is somethin like 1.135 all across the board (14.7/1.135=12.95) meanin that once Im at WOT and the MAP is at 90 or above my commanded a/f ratio is 12.95. you can check the a/f error % while logging with hptuners. comparing the commanded afr to actual afr from your wideband.

running w/o cats will just let your exhaust flow more freely which will let you put more air into the motor and so on. I run cats to keep in compliance with emissions and my warranty

one more thing, when checking "no error reported" all you're doing is telling the pcm that if it isn't getting a proper feedback from the rear o2's then it'll just ignore it and not report an error or illuminate the ses light. they still function if you still have them plugged in. they dont really do anything except monitor temps post cat so the computer can enable COT protection (cat overtemp protection) and add fuel to prevent the cats from being overheated/the element destroyed. sorry for the long post, hope this helps.

jake
Old 12-07-2006, 12:08 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
how far back is the wideband from the collector?
rear, stock o2 sensor location in stock y-pipe, driver side
Originally Posted by jakebdb56
they dont really do anything except monitor temps post cat so the computer can enable COT protection (cat overtemp protection) and add fuel to prevent the cats from being overheated/the element destroyed.
this may explain the a/f richening up from 12 w/ cats to 11.5 w/o cats on the same safe tune...

thanks!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

so im assuming that you dont have longtubes?

the driver side rear will show a richer afr without cats vs. with cats if im not mistaken.

basically, you need to disable COT protection and it should make it more "stable"
the wideband will still fluctuate a little at any rpm unless you're at WOT then you should have a pretty steady afr reading
Old 12-07-2006, 12:26 AM
11 Second Truck Club

no longtubes...short...
disabling COT protection was mentioned earlier but w/o an explanation as to why...
thanks for the info!

any clue in regards to the boost seen today?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disable the COT (cat overtemp).
Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

iono about the boost part.
COT basically adds fuel to richen the a/f so the cat wont get too hot, that's all it does. so if you dont have cats then you'll end up getting a richer commanded a/f ratio from the computer.

Quick Reply: cats gone and a/f going crazy!?!