Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

cats gone and a/f going crazy!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

COT has been off.....his fuel trims are on the plus side...havent had time to dial in his VE table to get them negative. Since they are positive, his WOT afr obviously bounces around from 11.5-12..he is spraying a little meth and rarely gets on it so its cool for now. I told him it was DFCO kicking in and thats a good thing

Al you dont want to get any cats. Leave it as is.......put money into a converter. Trust me on this one.

Also, I like to activate PE at 60-70% throttle...90 MAP. I am used to it with a turbo as you can hit plenty of boost at 60% throttle...rather be safe than sorry. On the street, i activate my PE at 50% throttle....if i am playing around and having to peddle the car to get traction, I can have anywhere from 10-20psi at part throttle and like her to have a fat afr
Old 12-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

didn't sound like COT, dfco...woo hoo!!!

BTW, for those that care, I believe COT kicks in somewhere in the neighborhood of 1650*. At WOT for the 1/4mile, I might see 1600*, maybe...probably not. (I have the EGT) You should have a temp threshold in your COT tables to check that temp enable. Just pointing this out cuz alot of people like to blame COT for changes in AFR, especially when tuning SD, but it is unlikely. Still turn it off, just saying it's unlikely.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:15 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have EGT as well...didn't realize that COT kicked in that high...I never reach that kinda temps...
Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
didn't sound like COT, dfco...woo hoo!!!

BTW, for those that care, I believe COT kicks in somewhere in the neighborhood of 1650*. At WOT for the 1/4mile, I might see 1600*, maybe...probably not. (I have the EGT) You should have a temp threshold in your COT tables to check that temp enable. Just pointing this out cuz alot of people like to blame COT for changes in AFR, especially when tuning SD, but it is unlikely. Still turn it off, just saying it's unlikely.
When I got my truck dyno'd with the previous engine, it was tripping the COT protection. After that I just disabled it and been that way since.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Zick
When I got my truck dyno'd with the previous engine, it was tripping the COT protection. After that I just disabled it and been that way since.
how'd ya know? (not that i am saying it wasn't) just going super rich? or have a status bit for it?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
how'd ya know? (not that i am saying it wasn't) just going super rich? or have a status bit for it?
Yeah it kept going real rich for some reason. Dan at FLP couldn't figure it out at first. He tried everything to get it to lean out but nothing helped. He said he didn't disable COT at first because it was already at a higher temp setting than what he ups the LS1 cars at.
But the next time we disabled it and never had a problem since.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 PM

huh, i wonder wtf then?!?! You truck is just a fluke then.LOL Even when dan was dynoing he admitable didn't care about it for the same reason as I said. huh. well there ya go, Zick is another reason why you should turn it off. LOL
Old 12-19-2006, 03:59 PM
11 Second Truck Club

went WOT from a roll this morning...45 degrees outside...tranny downshifted...afr went to 11.5...boost jumped in at about 6 #'s...started climbing again...thought last time was a fluke...thought that it would peter out at about 8 #'s...NOPE...climbed to 7...8...9...10...11...12...I got out of it...wtf!?!
I am confused!
I thought by freeing up the exhaust that I would probably lose a pound of boost...which was 8 #'s w/ cats...
spoke w/ ProCharger...they said they didn't have an answer for me...
the first thing they said was that I had a major restriction somewhere...asked me if I changed muffler when I got rid of cats...NOPE...
someone else asked about the blow-off working...but hell, if it wasn't working properly I wouldn't see increased boost @ WOT...and anyways, I can hear it when I let off...
Old 12-19-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Correct me if I'm wrong but the rear 02 only tell the computer if the cats are working. They do not have anything to do with your a/f.

Thats the front ones.

I drove my car around for 2 weeks with the cats deleted and all I did was unplug the rear o2s. No problems at all.

I see you are s/c. Have you thought about getting wide band o2s?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
11 Second Truck Club

correct...I do have a wideband...that is how I knew what the afr was before and after and was able to see the extreme spikes after cat delete...and the afr fluctuations have pretty much been assumed as normal based on opinions posted in this thread...but the increase in boost that I am experiencing is what is baffling me now...

Quick Reply: cats gone and a/f going crazy!?!