Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Challenge my thinking on intake manifold/head flow

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U Can Get 12's With A 5.3 Rcsb For $2k
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
U Can Get 12's With A 5.3 Rcsb For $2k
werd
nitrous, cam, converter, headers, and tune.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize that, but I don't want a lopey, vibrating , unreliable small engine that has to work harder than it should. I have a 4.8 now and could get it into the 12's I know for 2 grand. I'm trying to build a reliable 6L that doesn't have to work hard to get the job done and yet will drive as smooth as a stock V8.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

We've had some customers report gains of between 14-22rwhp by swapping only the heads. The power increase was felt throughout the rpm range.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Old 01-08-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i swapped on patriot 243's and gained 3/10 and picked up 5MPH on comparibal nights...still on the truck intake. i think it has 11's in it if i could get it to hook.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back on subject:what do heads matter if the intake is still a restriction ???
Old 01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I would say the restrictions have a cumulative effect. So even with the stock intake, better flowing heads will be able to more efficiently use what is available. It's kind of like when you kink a hose. You will generally get most of the water to stop flowing, but if you kink it 2 or 3 times it is easier to stop the flow. So by removing a few kinks it should help some just not as much as removing or improving on all the restrictions. So maybe you gain 14 hp instead of the 30 or more that might be possible with both heads and an intake.

Also I think better flowing heads will help the efficiency of the engine accross the powerband especially when the intake is not at max flow.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckmann
I would say the restrictions have a cumulative effect. So even with the stock intake, better flowing heads will be able to more efficiently use what is available. It's kind of like when you kink a hose. You will generally get most of the water to stop flowing, but if you kink it 2 or 3 times it is easier to stop the flow. So by removing a few kinks it should help some just not as much as removing or improving on all the restrictions. So maybe you gain 14 hp instead of the 30 or more that might be possible with both heads and an intake.

Also I think better flowing heads will help the efficiency of the engine accross the powerband especially when the intake is not at max flow.

That's an interesting concept, but does that concept of waterflow and a hose apply to airflow within an intake manifold tract and intake port? It's like if I had a 1/2" diameter by 1 foot long rubber hose in my mouth and on the end of that 1 foot of hose I attached a drinking straw and then submursed it into a glass of water. Would I be able to drink the water any faster than if I had just the drinking straw alone from my mouth to the glass of water? I don't believe I could. Maybe I'm wrong? Any fluid engineers in the forum?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't forget you need to look at the engine efficiency for the entire rpm range. At the max flow for the intake the restriction may be a problem but anything under that, better flowing heads will be more efficient and thus improve HP until you reach the limits of the intake. You may not be able to gain much top end out of just heads, but I would guess you would get to that top end a little faster with better acceleration.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can agree with that, anything undr the limit will be better, and even at/above the limit it will be more efficent.

Just thinking here...might this be shown by fuel injector duty?? if you are needing more fuel, it is getting mixed with more air...with my cam only I am at the top of my sdtock injectors and if I added anything (heads/LT) I will need bigger injectors=more power, same intake.

Quick Reply: Challenge my thinking on intake manifold/head flow