Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Changed left hand hub and still getting loudwhining/grinding. What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, that's pretty much normal. I still believe your other front wheel bearing/hub is the problem. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just thought of something. I'm at the end of my rope here... so I'm going to do something crazy. I'm going to put my truck on blocks tomorrow ans secure it properly. Start in rear wheel drive, then in 4 wheel drive, turn the steering a few times. If I hear a sound, I'll locate where it's coming from quickly. Whether it's a gear or a bearing.

If I do not hear a sound, I'll have to assume that it's a bearing making noise under load. Correct me if my reasoning is wrong... But why would a gear make noise when there is weight on certain wheel but stop once that weight is gone? that doesn't make sense. If a gear was grinding when accelerating maybe that would make sense. At that point the gear is stressed between the weight of the truck and the engine's power. But in my situation, when free-wheeling, there is still grinding. At this point the gears don't have any stress as they aren't transfering any power. So why do they still grind as much? Furthermore, the grinding gets worse when i turn right and stops when I turn to the left.

So logically, it can't be my transfer case or front/rear differentials. Am I correct? Has anyone ever heard of a problem in differentials that worsens or stops depending on the weight on a certain wheel(s)?

Problem I have now is that i just drained the differentials, is it safe to have them running bare for 5-10 seconds at about 15mph without a load? (truck on blocks)
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Yes, that's pretty much normal. I still believe your other front wheel bearing/hub is the problem. Good luck!
This will be the first thing I'll do tomorrow if I don't get any noise when I have the truck on blocks.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE
...Furthermore, the grinding gets worse when i turn right and stops when I turn to the left...
You know that the spider gears don't rotate until there is a difference in wheel speed (turning) on that axle, don't you?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

And that won't happen when the wheels are in the air. You would need a way to slow one wheel when they air in the air to verify if it is the spider gears.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
And that won't happen when the wheels are in the air. You would need a way to slow one wheel when they air in the air to verify if it is the spider gears.
hmmm....You've lost me here... maybe I'm missing your point but...if the spider gears were the problem, wouldn't they make noise only when turning? Considering they don't activate in a straight line.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE

Problem I have now is that i just drained the differentials, is it safe to have them running bare for 5-10 seconds at about 15mph without a load? (truck on blocks)
Ummm, NO. Just replace your other hub already.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Ummm, NO. Just replace your other hub already.
... Man, you really are hung to the fact that it's the passenger side front bearing are you? lol...Despite the fact that it has zero play and the noise goes away when the weight is APPLIED to it (not reduced)?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Either the other hub is bad, or the new one you installed is bad. I can't believe you haven't fixed this already. You are overthinking this thing to death. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to give you solid advice. 14 years with GM and 18 years in the auto-service industry is my background. Hope you have it repaired soon. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Either the other hub is bad, or the new one you installed is bad. I can't believe you haven't fixed this already. You are overthinking this thing to death. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to give you solid advice. 14 years with GM and 18 years in the auto-service industry is my background. Hope you have it repaired soon. Good luck.
lol...ok, I'll take your word for it. I need to pick up some brake bleeder valves at GM and while there I'll ask a master mechanic a couple quick things as a second opinion. At this point, I'll say screw it. Fill both differentials back up again replace the other front bearing. If it works, I'll put "AKlowriderz71" is god under my signature panel until I hit 300 posts. lol.

Quick Reply: Changed left hand hub and still getting loudwhining/grinding. What am I missing?