Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Changed PCV...felt a big difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004 | 04:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Default Changed PCV...felt a big difference

I know it sounds weird, but when i changed my pcv valve, i could tell a big difference in my low-end. Has this happened to anybody else? The valve was really dirty. I wasn't expecting any kind of gain at all, that's why it surprised me.

Also, my truck has been eating some oil somehow, I remember somebody said that they had the same problem and when they changed the pcv, that they didn't have any problems with it. I'll have to see if it helps me out any.
Old 04-13-2004 | 09:29 PM
Launching!

hey i know what u mean i changed the pcv valve in my 91 gmc and i could have sworn it gave me 50hp j/k but i could really tell a diff. but couldnt tell u why
i think that it has to do with releasing crankcase pressure to reduce blow by on rings or somethin along those lines
Old 04-14-2004 | 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The vacuum on the PCV system helps release crankcase pressure which helps your rings live a longer happier life. Thats the reason I laugh when I see import guys with little filters on their valve covers, I know they will have bad bad blowby on their rings within 20k miles.
Old 04-14-2004 | 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LOW2000
The vacuum on the PCV system helps release crankcase pressure which helps your rings live a longer happier life. Thats the reason I laugh when I see import guys with little filters on their valve covers, I know they will have bad bad blowby on their rings within 20k miles.
Valve cover breathers help relieve crankcase pressure also. It is not just import guys. A lot of people use them if they do not have a PCV system or an aftermarket crankcase evac system. One big reason they went to a sealed PCV system was to help with emissions.
Old 04-14-2004 | 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The PCV typically causes neg crankcase pressure, same as an aftermarket system (tho not to the same degree of vacuum obviously) and in systems designed with a PCV system in mind, many times the ring package is designed accordingly and running without that negative pressure will result in accelerated ring wear.

I once watched a guy puncture his oil pan at about the 1/8th mile mark and he was running soo much vacuum in his crankcase that the oil stayed in there until he got to the end of the track and shut the car down at which time all of the oil DUMPED out of the pan. Helps make some power though since the piston is only having to work hard in one direction instead of both.
Old 04-14-2004 | 12:37 PM
On The Tree

one word for you GEARS! GEARS! GEARS!
Old 04-14-2004 | 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone done the LS6 pcv conversion to their trucks like on ls1howto.com.

It requires changing the entire valley cover and plugging up the existing pcv.
Old 04-14-2004 | 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

I too have an oil consumption problem, how much is the PCV valve? I just bought the truck a little while ago and have no idea if it's been changed yet or not. Anyone know a part number or anything? Can I just clean my own?
Old 04-14-2004 | 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bootleg
I too have an oil consumption problem, how much is the PCV valve? I just bought the truck a little while ago and have no idea if it's been changed yet or not. Anyone know a part number or anything? Can I just clean my own?
I heard the LS6 conversion was a band-aid to that issue.
Old 04-14-2004 | 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A PCV valve is like $1.37, its not worth the effort to clean it, just replace it.

Quick Reply: Changed PCV...felt a big difference