Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Changing Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Fluids

I HAVE AN 04 SILVRADO Z71. AND WAS THINKING ABOUT CHANGING ALL OF THE FLUIDS IN THE TRUCK TO ROYAL PURPLE. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THAT WOULD BE A GOOD OR BAD IDEA. ALSO WHAT WOULD BE THE ADVANTAGE OF CHANGING TO ROYAL PURPLE. AND ALSO ONE LAST THING A FRIEND OF MINE TOLD ME THAT U SHOULD NOT MESS WITH THE TRANSIMSSION UNLESS THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT. HE CHANGED THE FLUID IN HIS TRUCK AND THE NEXT DAY THE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT. THANKS FOR THE HELP AHEAD OF TIME.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well first of all royal purple is supposed to be some real good ****...

your transmission fluid is supposed to be changed every 50k miles i think. i didnt change mine unitl about 95k miles when it started messing up and i changed the fluid in it and ti has run right ever since .... on your friend either he didnt get the filter tight or not enough fluid or it was just a coincidence and it was time for the tranny to go anyways... you dont think that all the people on here that drag race almost every weekend and have to have built trannys for the hp and tq that they are putting out are usin gthe fluid that came in theri trucks or never change the fluid after they install it for the first time .. no they are not
Old 07-01-2006, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

i have been taught all my life that once u go with a certain brand of synthetic fluid, u shouldnt switch after that, just somethingi was taught, i hope someone can stomp that rumor, or confirm it.

jared

ps. i have mobile1 in my engine, tranny, and rear end, im happy with the performance of it also, but i wanted to switch to royal purple too!
Old 07-01-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being that your truck is newer (newer than my pile), you should be fine switching to all synthetic royal purple fluids... its expensive, so dont get lazy down the road and NOT buy royal purple... like said earlier, bad things may happen if you switch to different synthetic fluids, its best to keep the same in there.

i have heard about the transmission fluid being changed to synthethic and it having problems. This is generally for high mileage applications. If your tranny is on the upside of 60k miles, i wouldnt replace the fluid with a synthetic brand... however, if you are going to change it earlier than that, you should not have any problems.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Resident

I have ran Royal Purple in my truck and did not notice anything when compared to Mobile 1, except the $6 higher for oil. I have Mobile 1 in everthing I could put it in but tranny and t-case, I go to the dealer for these.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

i have a 99 z71 with a 5.3 and since i bought my truck i have ran royal purple, uintil the last 15000 miles i have switched to motorcraft synthetic blend, the reason is because i work for a ford dealer and i can get it cheap, and its good oil,also i have talked to ford engineers and they have told me that its not perticulary the type of oil you use its how often you change it. ive done 4 oil changes now with the motorcraft and have had no problems. they did say that once you start using a type of oil it is best to stick with it, but changing the type of oil is ok as long as you keep using the new kind of oil and not go back and forth. also i have royal pruple fluids in my rear and front diff's and my tcase, and have had no problems, and my truck has 203k on it. i only use dexronIII in my tranny though. just my 2 cents
Old 07-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Thanks For The Help I Will Probablly Change It On The Weekend.