Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

changing to syntheic oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been running mobil 1 since 23k. Change it every 6-7k and use delco filter of 61, it's a bit bigger than the 46 and the same as the discontinued 59 the truck came with. Also a GM tech and our interval is 5k on conventional.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to used the UPF-59 (high performance PF-59 with synthetic element), and they discontinued that, then I switched to the regular PF-59, and they discontinued that...I think that I remember reading that the longer AC Delco filter that's available doesn't have an anti-drainback valve, so I switched to the Mobil1 filter which looks like a PF-59, but has a synthetic element. It's pricey, but it's a good filter.

Just a note, if you're running an AC Delco filter, be sure to get it from the dealership, as the ones that are available from WalMart, AutoZone, etc., are not the same quality as the ones available from the dealer. They say AC Delco, but are manufactured in a completely different factory than the ones you get at the dealer. I saw pics of Dealer/Aftermarket Delco filters cut open side by side (can't remember where or I'd definitely post them up), and it was obvious that the factory filter was higher quality. The element in the aftermarket filter looked cheesy, was wrinkled, and had a sort of "lint" coming off of it. It's a lot cheaper to buy them on the outside, but this is the reason, it's a cheaply manufactured filter. I love AC Delco parts, but I only get them straight from the dealership (not a big deal for me since I get a discount)...it's a few bucks more but worth it
Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

AC Delco was being made by Champion Labs. Then I saw a few of them made by Purolater. Now most of the ones I see are being made by Champion Labs again. They are the new e-core filters. All AC delco will be the same depending on who the manufacturer is and made to AC Delco specs. And AC Delco did have a filter plant in Michigan. Not sure if it is still in operation. And Wix has made a few AC Delcos along the way.

The older Champion Lab filters would have one of the holes larger than the others. The purolator would have all the holes the same size, As some later Champion Labs. The ecore filter you can see on the web-site below. Now a few years ago some AC Delco filters showed up from Mexico. They didn't stay around long.
Old and latest PF-47

This is the latest AC Delco filter from Champion Labs.

http://champlabs.com/pdf/default/ECORE.pdf

Heres who makes what filter.

AC Delco did have a filter plant in Michigan.

This list is not complete and will change with new filter contracts.......

Fram (Honeywell)

Fram Extra Guard (std)
Fram Tough Guard (different media?)
Fram X2 (Silicone ADBV, Fuzzy media)
Fram Extended Guard(same as the X2)
Mileguard (Jiffy)
Honda (although some are alleged to be made by Filtech)
Chrysler line up except for the Cummins
Penzoil
Deffense
Canadian Tire

Champion Labs

Bosch
Car and Driver
Deutsch
Mobil 1
STP
SuperTech
K&N
Valvoline filters
Mighty
Service Champ
Lee
AutoZone Value Craft
Some AC Delco
VW (some)
Warner
Luberfiner
Trust

Wix (formaly Dana, now Affinia Group)

some AC Delco
Carquest blue
Carquest red
Napa Gold
Napa Silver (lower quality with nitrile ADBV)
Kralinator (in Canada)
ALLIANCE (Freightliner aftermarket)

Purolator (Arvin Meritor)

Purolator premium plus (nitrile adbv)
Purolator Pure One (silicone adbv, different media)
Havoline
Maxlife Valvoline (some)
Group7
Promotive
Powerflow
Quaker State (less media)
Advanced Auto Total Grip. (less media)
Pep Boys Pro Line
MotorCraft
Superflo
some AC Delco

Denso

Toyota

Mann+Hummel

Mann
Volvo

Clarcor

Baldwin
Hastings
Amsoil
Casite

Bottom line everybody has made oil filters for everybody else at one time or another.

Thought i'd put this in here and you can then determine which brands or parts of product lines of other brands Champion Labs does manufacture spin on oil filters for.

All you need to do is look at the threaded baseplate. If Champ makes that filter, there is a "letter code" stamped into the metal baseplate. This is part of the quality control procedures to determine the correct threads for the application. So the same letter code in different size filters at least means the filter should spin on. There are other factors such as gasket orientation and clearances. Not to mention multiple variations in the media used brand to brand, part number to part numer..to meet or exceed OEM specs.

So look for this:

AA = 3/4"-16 Mostly Ford and some Chrysler.

D = 3/4"-16 for high pressure applications. (Brands such as Mobil 1 and K & N use this.)

ZZ = 22 mm Ford modular engines and some new GM engines.

G and/or I = 13/16"-16

X ( which is an older code) or TT = 18mm

Y = 20mm

These will cover most of all the popular automotive oil filter part numbers.

There are over 30 different codes.

If you also see a number with the letter, that just means the actual Die set number. So you might see 1-6. Dies are rotated and maintained in-house as part of QC.

Note: The E-core filters with the new flat plate hide the letter code below on the baseplate. If you look hard enough you might still spot the code through the inlet holes below. But if it's an E-core style you know it was Champ built anyway..

Last edited by dlstewart01; 11-22-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by dlstewart01
Now a few years ago some AC Delco filters showed up from Mexico. They didn't stay around long.
That may be the info that I found a few years ago...is it possible that the Mexican filters were going to the aftermarket vendors while the Champion and Purolator were going to the dealers?

And does the aftermarket places get the same filters that the dealers do? I don't want to be posting up mis-information and making our members go out of their way and spend more money than they need to. If this is the case please dis-regard the info that I posted as it is out-dated and in-correct
Old 11-22-2009, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by budhayes3
That may be the info that I found a few years ago...is it possible that the Mexican filters were going to the aftermarket vendors while the Champion and Purolator were going to the dealers?

And does the aftermarket places get the same filters that the dealers do? I don't want to be posting up mis-information and making our members go out of their way and spend more money than they need to. If this is the case please dis-regard the info that I posted as it is out-dated and in-correct
A buddy of mine who is a GM parts manager tells me they even got some of the Mexican filters at the Dealership. I haven't seen any of then in a while.

With GM wanting to sell off AC Delco and GMs reorganization, its hard now to say what is what. I'm not even sure that the AC Delco filter plant in Michigan is still in operation. I will try and find out. Most of the filters I see now are made by Champion Labs with a few Purolator every now and again.

Last edited by dlstewart01; 11-22-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:26 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by dlstewart01
A buddy of mine who is a GM parts manager tells me they even got some of the Mexican filters at the Dealership. I haven't seen any of then in a while.

With GM wanting to sell off AC Delco and GMs reorganization, its hard now to say what is what. I'm not even sure that the AC Delco filter plant in Michigan is still in operation. I will try and find out. Most of the filters I see now are made by Champion Labs with a few Purolator every now and again.
Well that's good to know, Champion and Purolator have been around for a long time and have good reputations. If they're the only manufacturers making the Delco filters, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one anywhere that has the best price Thanks for the good info
Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

No one mentioned Fram filters.. here are my thoughts on them.

Fram filters have cardboard end-caps....

Absolutely true ....and when other filter manufacturers adopt the practice, we'll all understand the unique value to this manufacturing technique. We'll no longer wonder why WIX, Purolator, Champion, Baldwin-Hastings, Donalson , etc. have gone to the senseless expense of hard parts in the form of steel or composites..when the obvious superior properties of the cardboard end cap was before their eyes all along. Why did they waste billions over many decades while Fram had this niche wonder exclusively to themselves?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

What's the advantage of the cardboard end caps? I've always heard that Fram filters are junk? (from different sources in the auto industry)
Old 11-22-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What's the advantage of the cardboard end caps? I've always heard that Fram filters are junk? (from different sources in the auto industry)
Old 11-22-2009, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

They are absolutely junk. You didn't get the post and the sarcasm. I meant I would use Fram only if and when all the major manufacturers went to cardboard endcaps. So far Fram is the only one in the industry to use them. That tells me because all the others could make a filter cheaper and refuse to do so Fram is junk as most everybody says.

Quick Reply: changing to syntheic oil