Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

changing to syntheic oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I change my oil maybe twice a year. I hate doing it too.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I change my oil maybe twice a year. I hate doing it too.
Yea, maintenance sucks, modding is fun lol
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good read on ZDDP. It dispels a lot of Internet myths. Its 6 pages but good if you are interested in motor oils...

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/oil/
Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I have to ask my pop what he uses to break in his race engines...I'm thinking it's Rotella or something like that, but I'm not 100% sure...I can picture the cases of oil lined up in his trailer (for the race car), but I can't see the name on them lol...

*EDIT* It was Rotella, that's what he used to use, then they changed their formula. He now uses Brad 10 30weight Performance Engine Break-In Oil, which is an old Kendall formula, but is not in a Kendall package. It is a dino oil with a lot of good additives that promote proper engine break-in. Also, the syn oils are no good for break in as they are loaded with Moly which acts as an insulator between the piston rings and cylinder wall and does not allow the rings to wear in and seat properly.
Some interesting facts on Brad Penn..

Brad Penn is made by American Refinery Company in the old Kendall plant in Bradford, PA. They also make Gulf motor oil distributed in the Northeast.

http://www.amref.com/

American Refining Group (ARG) owns the plant in Bradford PA which make Brad Penn. As far as I know they are the only refinery producing 100% Pennsylvania crude motor oil. Brad Penn and apparently now Gulf lubricants are ARG products.

"The American Refining Group, Inc. refinery in Bradford, Pennsylvania is a fully integrated blending and packaging facility, providing the highest quality products refined from 100% Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil. The quality process can be traced from the well head directly to the finished packaged product. In fact, for over 120 years the ARG refinery has maintained its reputation of manufacturing the highest quality products refined from 100% Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil. Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil is free of asphalt constituents. Sulfur and nitrogen are present in only trace amounts. Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil has a natural high viscosity index which makes it an excellent choice for being refined into lubricating base stocks."
Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by dlstewart01
Some interesting facts on Brad Penn..

Brad Penn is made by American Refinery Company in the old Kendall plant in Bradford, PA. They also make Gulf motor oil distributed in the Northeast.

http://www.amref.com/

American Refining Group (ARG) owns the plant in Bradford PA which make Brad Penn. As far as I know they are the only refinery producing 100% Pennsylvania crude motor oil. Brad Penn and apparently now Gulf lubricants are ARG products.

"The American Refining Group, Inc. refinery in Bradford, Pennsylvania is a fully integrated blending and packaging facility, providing the highest quality products refined from 100% Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil. The quality process can be traced from the well head directly to the finished packaged product. In fact, for over 120 years the ARG refinery has maintained its reputation of manufacturing the highest quality products refined from 100% Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil. Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil is free of asphalt constituents. Sulfur and nitrogen are present in only trace amounts. Pennsylvania Grade Crude Oil has a natural high viscosity index which makes it an excellent choice for being refined into lubricating base stocks."
Brad Penn....sounded like he said "Brad 10"...I corrected my post above. Sounds like quality stuff

Nice that he's using American oil
Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Baltimore Whore

This thread blew up like whoa.. It is going to be a bigger epic then the TACO BELL THREAD.. Muhahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
This thread blew up like whoa.. It is going to be a bigger epic then the TACO BELL THREAD.. Muhahahahahahahahahahahaha
Yea, it kind of detoured...kinda my fault too

...maybe I should go to bed lol...