Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Check Engine code reads misfire in cylinder #7

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mudaholicZ71
ok next question. there is a metal clip on the injectors that seems to be connecting the injectors to the fuel rails. once this clip is removed do i simply pull the injector off of the fuel rail or does it need to be twisted or anything of that nature? sorry for all the questions I like to be sure before i jump into things that i haven't done before. I know with things such as these sometimes little mistakes can cost big money!
They should pop right out!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Asking questions is the right thing to do. You can rotate the injector back and forth as you pull on it after the clip is removed. I'd replace all the "0" rings on Bank1. There is an "O" ring on both ends of the injector. It's a tight fit for sealing. It will pop out and pop back in to be tight enough to seal. You can put some mineral oil on the new "O" rings and onto the fuel rail and manifold where they mate up. This not only helps sealing, but prevents damage(pinching) during insertion. If the injector seats properly you will "feel" it pop in as it seats if you know what I mean. If the DTC changes to P0301 after you swap #7 with #1(I picked #1 since it's in the front and easy to get to) you can buy one injector and avoid having your vehichle down for any length of time. Don't forget to clear your DTCs as soon as you move #7 to #1. This will ensure that if the injector is bad it will show up at the #1 position. You can also look at the new freeze frame data if you do get a DTC to see exactly what was going on when the DTC went set. You might also want to look up Run Rite and Lindner Tech. They do corrective and preventative injector maintenance.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Asking questions is the right thing to do. You can rotate the injector back and forth as you pull on it after the clip is removed. I'd replace all the "0" rings on Bank1. There is an "O" ring on both ends of the injector. It's a tight fit for sealing. It will pop out and pop back in to be tight enough to seal. You can put some mineral oil on the new "O" rings and onto the fuel rail and manifold where they mate up. This not only helps sealing, but prevents damage(pinching) during insertion. If the injector seats properly you will "feel" it pop in as it seats if you know what I mean. If the DTC changes to P0301 after you swap #7 with #1(I picked #1 since it's in the front and easy to get to) you can buy one injector and avoid having your vehichle down for any length of time. Don't forget to clear your DTCs as soon as you move #7 to #1. This will ensure that if the injector is bad it will show up at the #1 position. You can also look at the new freeze frame data if you do get a DTC to see exactly what was going on when the DTC went set. You might also want to look up Run Rite and Lindner Tech. They do corrective and preventative injector maintenance.
ok thanks man im about to head to the part store now to get some new O rings like you suggested along with some oil/lube to use. i just noticed it says your from NO. I live in hammond just on the other side of the lake. im sure u know where that is
Old 08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

just got done pulling the fuel rail and all injectors i cleaned the fuel rail out with carb cleaner and sprayed dry with air compressor, i then cleaned all the small dirt particles out of each injector with carb cleaner and dried with air compressor. i lubed all O-rings manifold side/fuel rail side with lithium grease. i installed injectors back into the fuel rail BUT, i swapped the #7 injector with the #1 injector and then put fuel rail back on truck. reconnected the main fuel lines and bolted down the fuel rail. i reonnected all the electrical lines back to each injector. reconnected the battery got in the truck started her up and she purred like a kitty. went for a test drive and i can def. tell a difference in the way my truck responds to the gas pedal now before it seemed like it wouldnt have any power until i actually laid down on the throttle but now its alot more responsive. the light has yet to come back on so im hoping the injectors just needed a good cleaning thanx for allt he help from everyone and i will keep posted on whether or not the light reappears. THANKS
Old 08-22-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome, hope that ends up being the fix you needed! Now you've got me thinking I should do that to mine, since my truck has 143,000 miles on it!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ForcedTQ
Awesome, hope that ends up being the fix you needed! Now you've got me thinking I should do that to mine, since my truck has 143,000 miles on it!
wouldn't hurt anything for sure lol!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Man! My dads truck has been doing the same. Its a 2005 Crew cab 5.3L. It had a multiple cylinder misfire, then it went to cylinder 7 misfire, I have replaced plugs, wires, and coil 7, erased codes and it seems to runs way better, but cylinder 7 misfire keeps comming back. This thread has shed some light on what to do next..... wish me luck guys....
Old 12-12-2009, 07:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck man, hope it's a cheap easy fix. Sounds like you have the spark covered, so as long as compression is good, you more than likely have an injector problem. You could always swap the #7 and #5 injectors and see if the misfire follows...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Replaced injector and it solved the problem, truck runs very smooth now, erased code and it hasn't come back yet, but I can see the difference now, it runs very smooth, idles and responds perfectly! Fuel economy seems way better now also.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool deal, glad that you got it figured out

Quick Reply: Check Engine code reads misfire in cylinder #7