Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Check it out: My junkyard electric fan install and homemade intake tubing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Check it out: My junkyard electric fan install and homemade intake tubing

Hey guys,

I have always been kind of a junkyard DIY guy myself, but I am no genius!!!

I did some research, and found a fan that blows over 3000 cfm. The fan is a single motor, has a high/ low speed setting, but I just wired it up simply using the high speed setting only (no need for two speeds). I plucked this fan out of the junkyard on half-off day. I wired it up using a Flex-A-Lite controller, and a 70amp relay (I have experience wiring electric fans from years of 5.0 Mustangs). All the wiring is heat shrink wrapped for a professional look.

I used draw-thru radiator ties to mount the fan to the radiator. I also used the trunk weatherstripping off a 5.0 Mustang to seal the edge of the fan to the radiator.

All of a sudden, I realized my intake tubing was horrible, and no longer needed because it was designed to go around the stock clutch fan shroud.

So, I went to Home Depot, bought a 12.5" long piece of 4" diameter black PVC piping (I had them cut a 2 foot piece to the length I wanted), a black 4" diameter 90* PVC elbow, a 4" to 3" rubber reducer, and some PVC glue.

I used a dremel with a sanding roll to shave a little bit off the inside of the PVC elbow where it goes onto the t/b. It was too tite of a squeeze the way it came ... I used the stock rubber seal pushed onto the PVC elbow as the t/b seal. I also used the dremel to remove some of the rubber from the 4" to 3" rubber reducer where it mates to the MAF. It was too tite to fit over the MAF the way it came...

On the way home from Home Depot, I stopped at Kragen's and bought a K&N panel filter. I did this because from all my wrenching experience over the years, dyno tests, etc, nothing has given more horsepower on a 5 liter than a K&N panel filter inside the stock airbox. If there's one thing that you should certainly NOT do, it's run an open conical filter. This will hurt power, as you'll be sucking up all the hot engine air - NOT GOOD!

Eventually, I will fabricate a ram-air system using dryer ducting, and I will cut a hole in the tray under the stock airbox, but for now, I just wanted to get the intake tract straightened out.

The truck sounds WAY throatier with the air intake mods, and is a bunch quicker with the electric fan as well!

ADVERTISING REMOVED.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That fan looks exactly like the one I have. lol
Old 03-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Truck addict

i have seen other intakes like yours. don't consider it junkyard. lol. it works and thats all that matters.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Livin La Vida Goat

Looks good but you need to loose the factory air box.

My 4" "Oxidizer" Home Depot intake worked great and cost me less than $30.00.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Looks good, how much would the E-fan kit cost? With gas going out of sight anything to help will be good.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by NeedASilverado!!
.....If there's one thing that you should certainly NOT do, it's run an open conical filter. This will hurt power, as you'll be sucking up all the hot engine air - NOT GOOD!
I disagree. I have the AEM and have personally saw 2 different "independent" dyno tests showing a gain of 13rwhp. Neither of the dyno tests were performed by AEM either. Your fan set-up and intake as well both look great, but I agree that you should dump the factory air box, or if not, at least modify it to allow more airflow.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:30 PM
13 Second Truck Club

.....If there's one thing that you should certainly NOT do, it's run an open conical filter. This will hurt power, as you'll be sucking up all the hot engine air - NOT GOOD!
Very nice job on both!

I do have to disagree on the conical filter statement. I agree hot air is bad, but I have dyno results for the K&N panel filter and a K&N conical filter. I gained 18rwhp and 15rwtq on my truck. I do have the heat shield, which is sealed off pretty good from the engine by a rubber seal at the top. The air is pulled mostly from the front of the truck and the fender well. If any is pulled from the hot engine side of the heat sink, it is minimal. Speaking of hot air, I can also remove the headlight for "cold air induction" at the track. Looks goofy and is yet to yield any noticeable gains, but i do it anyway because it gives the air a direct path to the filter.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I gained 18rwhp and 15rwtq on my truck.
Wow, that is astonishing!! I wanted to keep costs down, but 18rwhp?!!! Holy Ch*t!!

I'd like to try the conical filter, with one of those heatshields that seals around the hood.

They have them for $30 on ebay ... I would, of course, ditch the ebay filter and get a proper K&N conical filter.

Chris
Old 03-24-2005, 05:03 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I'd like to try the conical filter, with one of those heatshields that seals around the hood.

They have them for $30 on ebay ... I would, of course, ditch the ebay filter and get a proper K&N conical filter.

Chris
That is exactly what I did.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Texan, do you have any pictures of your setup? I am very interested!!!!

Quick Reply: Check it out: My junkyard electric fan install and homemade intake tubing