Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Check out what i've been working on for the last few months! And help me out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out my 6.0L Swap and help answer a few questions!?

I'm a 19 year old college student and at the beginning of the winter i bought a 1996 toyota carollato drive as a beater back and forth to college. I then pulled the 4.8 ut of my truck in hopes of putting in a nice 6.0L
This was my truck previously for those of you who haven't seen it.

This is the truck currently with most of the body missing but the 6.0 in!

I bought a 2002 LQ4 put a TR224 cam in 918 springs and hardened pushrods. It's been a slow process since i'm a college student and have done all the work myself. I also have about every bolt on that is common for these motors: 160* stat, taylor wires, NGKTR6 plugs, Nelson Tune, pacesetter LT's and ORY, k&n cai, and soon a HSW wet kit! I just got done installing the rear 4" drop from belltech and sanding the grime and surface rust off of my frame for a flat black paint job. Have any of you guys painted your frames?

I now have a few questions for the guys that have done some of the mods that i'm currently working on. I just got done with the Walbro 255lph fuel pump installation and work on that bucket. I got it to fit great with a little help from a dremel. How do you guys think it looks? (i know i don't have the sock on it). Here's the question I had before reinstalling: Now that the walbro sock only goes over one hole in the bucket does that mean you just leave the other open? (I believe it's correct, but want to make sure in the second pic).

I'm also in the process of mounting my B&M transmission cooler. I found that it fits conveniently and extremely snug without even having to bolt it down. You can see what i mean from the picture, do you guys think this is a bad idea? I know that it'd never move unless i was i a collision, in which case it'd be screwed anyways. Have yall ever seen one put in like this?

I only have two weeks of school left so i'm pretty excited because i'll be finishing up the build over this next month, so it'll be ready for summer! I've still got the 4.10 gears to install my transmission to put in and exhaust to bolt up. I'll show yall the finished product in about 4 weeks!
- Ben Vincent

Last edited by benvortec; 04-16-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like a great build man

im anxious to see it done
Old 04-15-2007, 09:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great man, All that hard work and dedication will soon pay off the first time you step foot behind the wheel with the new power!

Looks like your on track for some good ET's

Be sure to get some slicks, your going to need them!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DLH2006
Looks great man, All that hard work and dedication will soon pay off the first time you step foot behind the wheel with the new power!

Looks like your on track for some good ET's

Be sure to get some slicks, your going to need them!
Thanks alot man... yea i'm planning on some slicks and looking for some cal tracs! What about that fuel pump install didn't you do it? Is that how yours came out? With the one hole left open?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Come on fellas, help me out with these few questions!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:19 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Looks like a nice build man. I can help you with the question about the B&M trans cooler...I'd definitely mount it with some form of solid brackets instead of just wedging it like that. It could move around and possibly damage the a/c condensor or itself, even if it does seem snug. Especially since you're going through all of the work that you are, I'd do it once and do it right
Old 04-17-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Get some of that black frame coating stuff body shops use... I forget the name, but I wanna say it's a 3 letter word like POR or something like that. Not 100% sure, but that st uff is THICK and doesn't come out of skin or clothing well. It'll prevent any rust from ever getting back on it It's glossy black, though.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
Get some of that black frame coating stuff body shops use... I forget the name, but I wanna say it's a 3 letter word like POR or something like that. Not 100% sure, but that st uff is THICK and doesn't come out of skin or clothing well. It'll prevent any rust from ever getting back on it It's glossy black, though.
I already took care of the frame yesterday, i'll post up some pics tomarrow. I steam/pressure washed it after sanding off the surface rust, primed it and painted it flat black, it looks damn good!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
POR-15
Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, I've used POR (Paint Over Rust) on a small section of my frame a few years ago, pretty sure they now have semi-gloss. It can be a bit pricey though...I know that the Eastwood Company carries it. There's a bunch of different options and routes you could go on the painting of the frame...from an all out professional spray gun job to a few cans of flat or semi-flat Rustoleum...depending on budget, time, etc.

*EDIT*: Just noticed that you finished the frame already....spent too much time replying lol

Quick Reply: Check out what i've been working on for the last few months! And help me out...