Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The Cherry is Popped-Im Sick but Happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Cherry is Popped-Im Sick but Happy

Well my trucks cherry has been popped. I finally got my n20 system installed after about six months of waiting and I went with a safe system(Digital WS,TPS,FPSS,etc..) and got to spray it twice. The second time I sprayed it looks like I bent a pushrod at least. I will know for sure in the morning but it sounds like it. That is some **** luck. The thing about it is Im really kind of happy God forbid it is something worse because I know will be putting a 212/218 cam with new springs,pushrods,and timing set and should be alll in on Saturday. I now need to be thinking about that 4l60e! Iy was crazy because I sprayed through second and into third and it felt bad *** and all the sudden wham!!!!!!!! It sounded liek something had hit the bottom of the hood. It still drives fine but it sounds liek ****. Ill let you guys know the exact verdict! N20 and cam within two weeks makes me feel better about it though. Someone help me Im really sick!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Damn that does suck ***, good thing your getting it fixed soon so little downtime. How many miles are on your truck?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:13 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Damn, that sucks about the pushrod. Glad to hear you got your Nitrous hooked up finally! That's awesome! You should have gone with a custom nitrous cam IMO, but that cam seems to work well with nitrous/blowers. Get to the track and see what it runs on the juice before the years over!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running too much timing with that 93 octane tune and nitrous? Did you hear any detonation on the juice?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:23 AM
14 Second Truck Club

thats exactly why i stay off the bottle
Old 12-16-2004, 08:48 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Are you sure its a pushrod?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like detonation to me. hopefully you didn't break a piston.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:29 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

GREGGO had a similar issue with his 4.8 a while back. I put the pieces together in one little thread:

Originally Posted by GREGGO
1/6/02 - OK I went to HRP, I'm glad I didn't see any of you because I went to sleep at the light. The truck is almost where I wanted it but my R/T may have narcalepsy. It was my FIRST time there. Here it is:

First run, I eased back 1/2 way down and got back on 3/4 way down due to poping or misfireing.
R/T...1.18
60'...2.34
1/8...9.77 @74.85
1/4 15.05 @93.56 on N2O
1/6/02 - I do have a heater, but the higher the pressure the worse the motor popped or backfired. Some stange noise. I haven't heard or know much about detonation or knock retard but would like to solve this problem. I called Tony but he was under the weather
1/7/02 - I think I bent a pushrod or two at the track the other night. After the second time down the track , the S.E.S. light came on, but cleared the next morning. On Sunday I started up the truck and there it was, TICK, TICK,TICK. When it warmed up, it got quieter but not gone. I was running on N2O. Diagnosis and opinions are welcome.
1/11/02 - What will detonation cause? I took one side apart and no bent pushrods to speak of. Tonight I'm taking the other side apart. What is happening now ( I still haven't Auto Tapped it yet ) is a loud tap when cold and when the oil gets pumped through the motor it gets quieter but not gone. I'm wondering if it's a broken spring or lifter now.
1/15/02 - Looks like a lifter now. I'm just going to put it in the shop. Not bad, I consider myself lucky so far. This is the first time in 46,000 miles that the truck has been in the shop for ANYTHING. Problem is they probably won't take my word for it (the lifter) and won't fix it the first time.
1/22/02 - Well it may be worse than I thought. They are saying it may be a piston clearance problem. They took down the oil pan today and now they want to pull the whole motor.
1/24/02 - I just got the word from the dealer, #5 piston is broken and the walls are scared. They are going to try to get a new motor out of the warranty co instead of just fixing it.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by BigTex
Are you sure its a pushrod?
I'm not sure what size nitrous "shot" you were spraying, but I would think the stock pushrods could hold up to more power than a 4.8 with 125hp shot or so. Thats not even 400rwhp and I would think they would have lasted longer. I hope its not a lifted ring land or burnt piston. Have you removed the spark plugs and looked at them? What makes you so quick to say its a push rod??
Old 12-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by BigTex
GREGGO had a similar issue with his 4.8 a while back. I put the pieces together in one little thread:

Since we both posted about the same time, it looks like you are thinking what I'm thinking.

Quick Reply: The Cherry is Popped-Im Sick but Happy