Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The Cherry is Popped-Im Sick but Happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote goes against a bent pushrod too. They shouldn't bend with stock springs and the stock cam in unless you float the hell out of the valves.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

run a leakdown test. it should tell you all you need to know. my vote goes for piston unfortunately. gotta love that NAWZ!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

That exactly why I say pushrod because of valve float. I brought it to my mechanic(B&M Racing) and he took one listen to it and say it was the a pushrod. The thing is I dropped a screwdriver in under the hood the other day and never found it and when I heard the noise I instanty though that the screwdriver had come loose and hit whatever. So after I hear the noise I slowdown and then get on it a few times and besides the clacking noise it makes when I accelerate it runs damn near liek it supposed to. IM not ahving any acceleration problems it idleing fine and all that. I havent really pushed it for obvious reasons .So besides the clanking noise it runs fine. My guy told me that he is almost positive it is a pushrod and after I told him it drives fine for the most part he was even more sure. The thing is it might not have happened so soon if I would have changed the valve springs. I was getting no knock or det that I could hear. I hope its not a piston but If it was I dont think it would be driving as good as it is. Also I never got a SES code at all. I have 26k on the truck!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

How high did you rev it? It shouldn't pull high enough to float the valves with the stock cam in it.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont really remember but I know it was reved pretty high and I was in 3rd. All I know is my mechanic told me that it is pretty common and he knew by listening to it. If it was a piston would I have gotten a SES code and would it be driving damn near like it normally does(I havent got on it and dont plan on it but normal driving is perfect except for the noise that you can hear if you were outside)? I really am asking you those ?'s With the tune I talked to Allen before the install and he said that I had 25+ timing and that would be just fine with 100 wet. I will however get some timing taken out on the cam tune just for the hell of it.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

have your mechanic friend run a leakdown test. if it has a bent pushrod it won't loose any compression. if it does leakdown time to pull the engine and invest in some forged pistons. an engine with a cracked or broken piston will not run bad. matter of fact it may run like normal. it will make noise though. it is highly unlikely you bent a pushrod. sounds like you went lean and broke a piston. there is a price to pay for power. If your friend has a bore scope that would be nice too. pop the spark plug and take a peak for yourself.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I will fiind out Tomorrow and although anyone can be wrong he is pretty sure of the pushrod. Hopefully it is. I completely trust this guy he is the LS1 God in this area. Ill let you guys know for sure tomorrow. Im pretty sure It was cause by valve float.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

What's your rev limiter set at?

If the piston is broken, yes, it could be driving like normal. I think it was ranwalk who had the problem. He had a bracked piston and ran on it for a loong time.

I know bigguy75inches had some problems with one of his motors. It ran for a long time too. Showed no signs of catastrophic damage, but it turned out his rings were blown.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I cant remeber what my rev limiter is set at but when I didnt he 4.10s I had to raise it 3 times. I wanna say it is 6000 or 6000+
I will know tomorrow what the damage was but Im hoping it was just a pushrod and it made me feel a little better when I tlaked to my guy(I wouldnt trust anyone else with my truck). I'll keep you guys informed.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 03's have a soft rev limiter. That could very well have felt like valve float. When it gets close to the rev limiter, it will start closing the throttle blade. I'm not a nitrous guru, but I think that's a very bad thing when you are spraying.

6000, or a little over is not enough to float the valves.

Quick Reply: The Cherry is Popped-Im Sick but Happy