Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The Cherry is Popped-Im Sick but Happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill know tomorrow! I honestly dont know enough about these engines to say what it is thats why I feel lucky to have a guy in this area who is respected and I can trust! I pray its not a piston because that will put me out another week because the parts he ordered where ae stated above. Like I said IM by far an expert on these engines but Im just suprised that everything is running fine for the most part-oil level is fine and I havent gotten achance to check the plugs because its raining but will hopefully be able to tonite. **** happens! I never once thought I would just spray and have no negative affects. I just didnt think I would the 2nd time I sprayed. You never know! I wish I had a 6.0 I could find quick and cheap becuae I would probably just do the swap! Liek I said earlier I was running a digital WS(3000-5500),TPS,and FPSS and it was obviously somthing that they couldnt help with! Merry Christmas to myself!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
I wish I had a 6.0 I could find quick and cheap becuae I would probably just do the swap!
Get in line! j/k

I bent several pushrods (not all at once ) in a 302 Ford (I know, I know) and it didn't run fine at all! Yes, it was a Ford, and yes it made a terrible noise, but it ran like ***! My vote is against the p-rods, but I hope that's all it is. If not, here's to another fallen 4.8.

Why did you set your rev-limiter so high for the stock cam? What are you shifting at? I doubt you floated the vavles but damn... que es esto?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My shift were all messed up on the 1/4 when I went from the 3.42's to the 4.10's and I called Allen and after 2 more tunes he got it right and it ran great!
Say I did mess up a piston what do they run say a stock piston?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
My shift were all messed up on the 1/4 when I went from the 3.42's to the 4.10's and I called Allen and after 2 more tunes he got it right and it ran great!
Say I did mess up a piston what do they run say a stock piston?

A stock piston will be cheap, but its the damage that's been done to your block that won't be cheap. More than likely if a ring or part of the piston let go in there, it scarred up the cylinder walls, and it will require at best a hone. IMO it would be cheaper and more benificial to get a used 5.3 or 6.0, and do the swap yourself. Unless your mechanic friend wants to rebuild your 4.8 for milk and cookies.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:40 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Know that I think about it, I don't see how it could be a bent pushrod because your not reving it high enough to get valve float or anything. 6000rpms is about average for people with tunes and a stock cam. If anyone would have bent a pushrod it would have been Blake. Hell, he revved his motor past 6300+ on stock springs/pushrods and we know how he abuses his stuff. And you on the other hand, don't rev yours high or get on it like the rest of us. That's just my opinion though. Good luck on figuring out what it is!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

a bent pushrod will mean missfires usually. So I would place my bets on a piston.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99silveradoSS
we know how Blake abuses his stuff
Are we thinking of the same guy?! The guy I know babies his truck all the time. Does some silly things for bottle heaters, but never rough on anything.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

man, sorry to hear, hope its not a piston but it sure sounds like it....

it seems like you either win or lose with nitrous....my friend sprayed the CRAP out of his 02 hyundai elantra for about a year - sometimes emptying a bottle a day, ended up hydrolocking it in a storm, they took the motor apart and said everything was PERFECT except the obvious damage from the hydro lock....and another friend of mine blew his honda s2000 up TWICE on nitrous.....I've also had some nitrous induced "block ventilation" experience myself....

good luck with whatever the problem is...
Old 12-16-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Flyer
The 03's have a soft rev limiter. That could very well have felt like valve float. When it gets close to the rev limiter, it will start closing the throttle blade. I'm not a nitrous guru, but I think that's a very bad thing when you are spraying.

6000, or a little over is not enough to float the valves.

actually valve float occurs on these trucks @ about 5700-5800, I have felt it & seen it on the dyno, I ran mine with a 120 dry shot & with a ton of detonation & had no piston problems. I was also shifting out @ about 6700 rpm's with the help of the Z06 hot cam valve springs. I had enough detonation to disenigrate both the ground strap & the electrode on the spark plug. as for me being certain of damage that occured, working here @ the dealership allowed me access to the infamous indoscopic bore scope. I am happy to report that not only did I not find any dimples in the pistons but I have no smoke, oil consumtion, or compression loss. Mike(tigerfan187) has a bent pushrod. I have looked at it & heard it as well.

Mike is not running lean, he dynoed around 12.8 last time with the wideband. He is running 28 degrees of total timing, compared to my 34 degrees. I am so certian that he bent a pushrod that I would be willing to bet large sums of money on it. but if I am wrong, I am wrong.

Now let's talk about these horrible things that flyer & richard are saying about me. I have never abused my vehicle in any way/shape/or form. This transmission issue(3 transmissions in 21,000 miles) is because gm has design issues. It has nothing to do with my 6800 rpm shifts. All joking aside if you guys worked here at a dealership, in the service department & had access to the tools & resources that I do, & was able to get it covered under warranty would you not thrash your vehicles if you suffered no finacial consequences.....

Flyer you are jealous of my bottle heater, I know you want it, but I have a patent on the design,

Richard you are jealous of my amazing speed, I think after work I will come by your house & pop a wheelie in my truck rain & all

Oh yeah mike, I whored up your thread again.......lol...lol
Old 12-16-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say Im gonna laugh it is a piston! OH wait no Im not its my truck! ****! If you guys would just do me a great big favor and all of you say a little prayer for little brother 4.8!

Quick Reply: The Cherry is Popped-Im Sick but Happy