Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The Cherry is Popped-Im Sick but Happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAZYCUTER4.8
actually valve float occurs on these trucks @ about 5700-5800, I have felt it & seen it on the dyno, I ran mine with a 120 dry shot & with a ton of detonation & had no piston problems. I was also shifting out @ about 6700 rpm's with the help of the Z06 hot cam valve springs. I had enough detonation to disenigrate both the ground strap & the electrode on the spark plug. as for me being certain of damage that occured, working here @ the dealership allowed me access to the infamous indoscopic bore scope. I am happy to report that not only did I not find any dimples in the pistons but I have no smoke, oil consumtion, or compression loss. Mike(tigerfan187) has a bent pushrod. I have looked at it & heard it as well.

Mike is not running lean, he dynoed around 12.8 last time with the wideband. He is running 28 degrees of total timing, compared to my 34 degrees. I am so certian that he bent a pushrod that I would be willing to bet large sums of money on it. but if I am wrong, I am wrong.

Now let's talk about these horrible things that flyer & richard are saying about me. I have never abused my vehicle in any way/shape/or form. This transmission issue(3 transmissions in 21,000 miles) is because gm has design issues. It has nothing to do with my 6800 rpm shifts. All joking aside if you guys worked here at a dealership, in the service department & had access to the tools & resources that I do, & was able to get it covered under warranty would you not thrash your vehicles if you suffered no finacial consequences.....

Flyer you are jealous of my bottle heater, I know you want it, but I have a patent on the design,

Richard you are jealous of my amazing speed, I think after work I will come by your house & pop a wheelie in my truck rain & all

Oh yeah mike, I whored up your thread again.......lol...lol
what exactly do you do in the service dept.? I personally have seen broken pistons on more than one occassion resulting from nitrous use. the conditions at the time he dynoed may have not been the same as when he had this problem. what was the bottle pressure/temp,etc. alot of factors to consider.

I highly doubt the valves are floating at 5700 rpm. what rpm did he pull on the dyno? any valve float there?

Once again I would really like to know what your function is in the service dept.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:58 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by CRAZYCUTER4.8
Richard you are jealous of my amazing speed, I think after work I will come by your house & pop a wheelie in my truck rain & all
I think you have that backwards. Motor against motor, mid 14s vs. low 15s (with a 2000+ stall!) If my truck had the nitrous like yours, I'd be killing you at the track. You know this mannnn!

About the valve float, I've always seen stuff that says valve float is after 6200 rpms. You showed me that magazine ariticle that said a 5.3 revved really high (6400rpms+) on stock springs and a big cam and experienced NO VALVE FLOAT. Again, I'm no expert, just going by what I see and hear.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am starting to think crazycuter is one of the techs in the oil/lube dept at the dealer....... maybe someday you can move up to brake jobs or work in the trim dept. or are you just a super smart service writer??????
Old 12-16-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smooth sierra
what exactly do you do in the service dept.? I personally have seen broken pistons on more than one occassion resulting from nitrous use. the conditions at the time he dynoed may have not been the same as when he had this problem. what was the bottle pressure/temp,etc. alot of factors to consider.

I highly doubt the valves are floating at 5700 rpm. what rpm did he pull on the dyno? any valve float there?

Once again I would really like to know what your function is in the service dept.

here we go, I guess this is the part when I am suppose to qualify myself so that we all feel better. About two years ago I sat through a leangthy video about harmonic resonance created by valve float, This started @ 5600 rpm's, this was one the genIII motors, the video was broadcasted via IDL compliments of gm here at the dealership. As for highly doubting the valve float issue, you could go back a couple of months to your chevy high performance magazine & read the article with the 5.3 that dynoed around 450hp, they had an interesting piece talking about the stock valve springs & pushrods were replaced due to severe valve float @ 5800 rpm's.

But you should not take their word for it, they were just on a dyno just like I was with mine & saw it occur, but that could have been caused by something else. The IDL GM broadcasted, well they are just engineers & they measured air velocity & they probably did not know what they were talking about either.

As for me, well you probably should not listen to me either, I am just some stupid manager @ a chevrolet dealership
Old 12-16-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99silveradoSS
I think you have that backwards. Motor against motor, mid 14s vs. low 15s (with a 2000+ stall!) If my truck had the nitrous like yours, I'd be killing you at the track. You know this mannnn!

About the valve float, I've always seen stuff that says valve float is after 6200 rpms. You showed me that magazine ariticle that said a 5.3 revved really high (6400rpms+) on stock springs and a big cam and experienced NO VALVE FLOAT. Again, I'm no expert, just going by what I see and hear.

Richard, your incorrect, the magazine article was 6400 rpm's with the zo6 springs, if you remember right after this was released i purchased & installed them. As for motor vs. motor I ran 14.7 with only 22 degrees of timing vs 34. If you are that confident lets put some money behind it. I will even pay your way to the track.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think that valve float would start that early. I DO think that the stock cam falls flat on it's face at about that RPM level. That stock cam is a really small cam, comparatively speaking.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smooth sierra
I am starting to think crazycuter is one of the techs in the oil/lube dept at the dealer....... maybe someday you can move up to brake jobs or work in the trim dept. or are you just a super smart service writer??????

actually I am a lead porter, I am in charge of washing all the cars.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

so whats the verdict?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default The Verdict Is In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it wasnt a pushrod,piston,rocker,or lifter and to be honest the problem was never realy pinpointed. Everything eas in great shape and I mean everything. He put in the comp 212-218(Im sure evryone is familar with this one) comp pushrods,k-motion springs,and a 160 stat and as far as the noise it was making that is gone completely. I know have a small bit of rocker clatter but it is only slightly more than it originally was or at least after it was 10k after I got the truck but its nothing that most of you guys dont have. I really didnt get a chance to talk much to Brad(my mechanic) because he had some some big timers in the shop(couple of vet guys) so he told me everything was fine. He said it good of been a number of things but none of what we(ls1tech) thought but I will talk to him probably tomorrow when he is a little less busy. After spraying twice and thinking I had a pushrod or piston problem or some internal engine problem I was damn near scared to spray it! OK I was scared I cant afford another 1K+ probelm at not untill after C-Mas. Well CRAZYCUTER4.8 being the great friend he is gave me no choice but to spray it. I wanted to wait untill I got the updated tune and I probably wont do it again untill then but it ran hard very hard. So it looks like little brother 4.8 had alot of fight left in him. To be honest with you guys Im so happy witht he results-n20 and cam job in 2 weeks-great c-mas present huh? Untill I get some time with Brad I wont know what exactly it is and probably wont ever know.We can on guess! Track #'s coming within the next 2-3 weeks. I was running 15.8 without the n20 and cam so any guesses .Crazycuter is running 12.7 and the only differences now are he has shorties I have stock and he has 3.73's I have 4.10's