Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

chosen another path to power... LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chosen another path to power... LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

ok... i wanna make in the neighborhood of 550 or so in the power department with my 5.3 z71 avalanche... this wont be a track star or a super mud truck or a daily serving of beating the **** out of it. i actually drive like grandpa anyways... i just wanna have a bad **** MANvalanche!

i was going to do the turbo route. after taking a ride in a procharged truck i knew then that i was better off with a procharger and not a turbo given the fact that i am going to run 35s or 37s with a nice lift and need power right away... i am planning to just run a p1sc and a nice blower cam and i hope to turn it up enough to make those numbers...

here are my questions...

1. will i have to run alky injection to hit these numbers safely?

2. what would be a good blower cam that will give great numbers, be somewhat streetable (this is a summertime daily driver), and give a nice blower cam chomp chomp sound... (i just got to have that sound lol)

3. would some OBX longtubes with ORY be good for boosted flow? not looking to break the bank with some rediculous 1200 dollar longtubes (f*ckin stupid price)

4. should i run true duals or keep it single? what size exhaust pipes?

5. i have a borla xr-1 now but without cats its just retarded loud and i would like to switch over to borla pro xs... with longtubes, no cats, a blower cam, and borla pro xs is it going to be dumb loud like it is now? i dont mind loud when i dig into it but when im just cruisin i want it to shut up a little... and please dont tell me to put a big magnablow on it... i hate the sound of them! lol

now for the trans... i have been tossing around the idea of doing an 80e swap or doing a level 7 flt built 65e direct bolt in here are the questions for that....

1. how much would i have to build the 80e to handle the power? what is the typical cost just to swap one in?

2. would the FLT level 7 65e handle the power and be reliable?

i know everyone on here is addicted to the 80e like its crack but it seems to be a full blown project to get one in there and nickle and dimes you to make it a full swap... that is what makes the 65e so much more attractive... what do you guys think i will PRACTICALLY need?
Old 09-03-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want power from start than a procharger is not for you ,you should ride a truck with a TVS.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

i would like to stick with a procharger... thanks...
Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's right bud, if you're looking for instant, on-hand power, TVS all day long. Prochargers love love love a loose converter to run good up top. If you're looking for instant, TVS>procharger. Especially with big tires
Old 09-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

the truck was a 4.8 with a p1sc procharger and no other mods but exhaust and i seemed to get up and go pretty good... they also seem to be reliable forms of power also...

ill be honest with you though... i am also turned onto procharger because i see them in the classifieds quite a bit and for fairly cheap... im not buying a kit from any company... i am going to buy one that is used from here most likely... so with that being said i will probably buy whatever is best and cheapest at the time... the only thing im set on is having 550 or so horses under the hood.

so with that being said... if you say procharger is not for me than what do you think would be better? you guys are the pros with this stuff and im going to listen!

you say tvs1900 but what about whipple?

any help for my other questions guys? i am going to do this over winter cause thats when i get my big **** bonus however i plan on getting the exhaust stuff done along the way there cause its obnoxious now.

Last edited by z71vortec; 09-03-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:00 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are tons of builds here that are just what your looking for..
My suggestion is do alot more research..
Old 09-03-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll give you a ride in my truck. It is a Magnacharger 112, but you will see the instant power it has. A TVS will be even better as they are designed a lot better. I go to Quaker Steak and Lube on Thursdays there once in a while. I haven't dyno'd it but I would assume I am over 500. You can get a 112 fairly cheap these days.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

ive done research but was hoping the pros could help make up some good decisions for me... im really wondering about the transmission setup... and the exhaust!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

550 HP at the rear wheel or flywheel ? If you really want to go procharger then consider a D1 blower ,but you still will need 4.56 gears and at least a 3600 stall converter. I have a P1 and the mods on my sig in a truck similar to yours and is really slow on the bottom end ,my best 60' is 2.0 with drag radial.
Now for a cam you should ask someone knowledgeable that you can trust and stick with it ,if you ask 10 different people to spec you a cam most likely you will get 10 different cams.
Is always safer to run alky at any FI boost levels.
For headers some Pacesetter with ORY will do the job.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

so i should stay as a single exhaust? i am willing to true dual it with some borla pro xs and no cats if so what size pipes?... i currently have a 3 inch exhaust... if you guys say to stay at a single exhaust should i think about going up to a 3.5 or more?

Quick Reply: chosen another path to power... LOTS OF QUESTIONS!