Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Clunking noise from base of steering column

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking noise from base of steering column

When making turns while going over bumps I get a loose clunking noise from bottom area of steering column. I know there is a bulliten out on this. Isn't there some updated part or somthing to fix this. Anyone have the bulliten number???
Old 11-05-2003, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah mine does this crap too. i knew there was something about it but could never find anything with a search
Old 11-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Talking Here's a good site - when it works !

I wish I knew who's it was - it has saved my butt a few times !!

http://web.archive.org/web/200112181...regg/gmsi.html

All I saw for '02 was about the steering lock delete - which was a weird idea, IMHO.

'01 won't pull up at this time. (Bulletins, anyway.)

My SS did this when you turned the wheel w/ the car in park - they replaced the intermediate shaft.

Hope this helps !

Britt
Old 11-05-2003, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ranwalk
When making turns while going over bumps I get a loose clunking noise from bottom area of steering column. I know there is a bulliten out on this. Isn't there some updated part or somthing to fix this. Anyone have the bulliten number???
Mine does the same thing. Started about 2-3k miles ago.I have about 22k on it now. It feels like you have a ball joint problem, but it is not always present. I will be taking mine in soon as I have already talked to the Chevy man about the problem, the steering shaft apparently needes to be greased adjusted or repaired from what the service manager told me. The told me sometimes the shafts are not properly lubed from the factory. I wonder why they do not put a grease zerk on the shaft so it can be maintained easily by us. Seems a simple fix. I will keep you posted.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Mine does the same thing. Started about 2-3k miles ago.I have about 22k on it now. It feels like you have a ball joint problem, but it is not always present. I will be taking mine in soon as I have already talked to the Chevy man about the problem, the steering shaft apparently needes to be greased adjusted or repaired from what the service manager told me. The told me sometimes the shafts are not properly lubed from the factory. I wonder why they do not put a grease zerk on the shaft so it can be maintained easily by us. Seems a simple fix. I will keep you posted.

i took my truck in a few weeks after i got it, its a 2002..

they fixed it.. it has to do somthing with steering shaft lubrication.

I had the EXACT same problem
Old 11-05-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
I fixed it once before.Had to take apart some piece on the steering column and pack it with grease.Just dont want to do another temporary repair. The grease thing was on a bulletin, but I tought they updated it with a new part replacement?? Maybe wrong, might just have to re pack it with grease again.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Default steering shaft

you have an intermediate shaft that connects from the steering column to the power steering gear that actually needs to come out and be lubed with a lube kit you can get it from your local dealership im a svc manager at one in INDIANA near south bend if anyone wants to drop buy if any more questions let me know
Old 11-05-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine does it too . You really have to pay attention to it.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only fix out there is a intermediate shaft lube kit from a dealer. It comes with a plastic syringe full of grease, a plug, and instructions. It is easy fix, with air tools it takes less than five minutes. This is not permanent fix.
P.S. Just thank GOD you don't drive a Cavalier or Impala. The shafts in those are not as easy to lube and when they get dry, it sounds like the front end is coming apart.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Yup...this clunking noise is a dealer warranty fix that you WILL have to pay for. Anything classified as lubing is not warranty covered after 36K miles. I was pissed I had to pay for my dealer servicable clunk...under warranty...what a joke!

Quick Reply: Clunking noise from base of steering column