Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys think about the Vararam CAI? I am currently shopping for a CAI for my 05 silverado 1500 ECSB 5.3L. This is my DD and I don't want a really loud CAI-What do you recommend?
Dave
Old 02-17-2007, 02:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave88z
What do you guys think about the Vararam CAI? I am currently shopping for a CAI for my 05 silverado 1500 ECSB 5.3L. This is my DD and I don't want a really loud CAI-What do you recommend?
Dave
I don't have personal experience with the Vararam, but I have read some negative feedback about it concerning build quality and fitment issues. If you're looking for something quiet, maybe a home made setup is the way to go? Do a search for "home made CAI" and a bunch of info should come up.

Personally, I've had both the K&N FIPK and now the Volant with ram air on this truck, and I can honestly say that the performance of the two feels the same, and they both seem to make about the same noise. The K&N was maybe a touch louder.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Get the intake you like because I suspect the dirty little secret is, they're all probably not worth the money. It's probably more important to have a clean air filter.

Maybe I'm getting cynical but when I see that the Outlaw and Volant brands include a minature version of GM's huge Hemholtz chamber along with other similarities, I begin to wonder about the hyped up gains in horsepower over the stock set-up.

This is coming from a guy who's already bought one of those Airaid knock-offs from EBay along with Airaid's intake tube. Sure it's louder under WOT and the filter looks bigger and there's more room now that the stock air tube is gone but does all this put more power to the rear wheels?

I'm getting ready to re-install the stock HO air filter box because I can't stand the squeaks coming from the POS filter enclosure I bought off EBay.

I think the biggest improvement comes from retuning the PCM. Specifically, remove as much torque management (TM) as your truck's transmission can stand, modify the shifts and maybe tweak the timing and A/F ratio. But again, you'll notice the biggest improvement by removing TM.

Nelson Performance removed all TM with my re-tune and that really woke up my truck. (firmed up the shifts too) Stock, I could break loose the rear tires on occasion but now I have to be careful - especially if the pavement's wet.

If you want to send more power to the rear wheels, take the $200-or-so you'd spend on an air intake and devote it to a PCM re-tune. If you want a louder intake and more flash, get an aftermarket intake.

Good luck.

Nick
Old 02-19-2007, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

The stock filter should be large enough. I'm not so keen about the stock tube on my 99 5.3 Without the fan shroud a nice elbow and straight pipe to the stock filter box should cover 350/400 hp
Old 02-19-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Dave
I have used the Vararam and the fitment and quality does suck...especially for $300. I didn't really even notice any gains over stock with it. Needless to say, I now have a K&N FIPK that I bought on here for $150 (and still have). I have no complaints about it and I felt more performance gains with it over the Vararam.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thiems
I have used the Vararam and the fitment and quality does suck...especially for $300. I didn't really even notice any gains over stock with it. Needless to say, I now have a K&N FIPK that I bought on here for $150 (and still have). I have no complaints about it and I felt more performance gains with it over the Vararam.
Thanks man. I am leaning towards the K&N, seems to be the best bang for your buck. I was curious about the vararam because GM High Tech Perf. mag installed
one on their project truck. It doesnt seem like its worth the money.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man. I am leaning towards the K&N, seems to be the best bang for your buck. I was curious about the vararam because GM High Tech Perf. mag installed
one on their project truck. It doesnt seem like its worth the money.
It is a leading-edge technology design but they have in no way come close to perfecting it. Save a little money and buy a used intake...
Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Launching!

I have the MAC cai. I like it but, next time I will save some money and just make my own.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info, now which pcm is better for the price pcm4less or nelson and what about are they going for
Old 02-20-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dusty4.8
thanks for the info, now which pcm is better for the price pcm4less or nelson and what about are they going for
I don't have any complaints with my Wait4Me tune. I got another PCM so it cost ~$158. It is well worth the money. I guess I could get a dyno tune but right now, I don't see that a dyno tune would be worth another $500 when my truck is running pretty good right now...

Quick Reply: cold air intakes