Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The cold is kicking my trucks butt...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mainly squeaks and rattles that arise every winter, along with the cold start piston slap, but nothing major (knock on wood). The door lock problem I have to fix is OK now that it's cold (needs a passenger side lock actuator, but it's working now that the temp has dropped), and the truck runs much better in this weather. I thought that I caught a wiff of coolant when I shut the truck off the other day, but I didn't see anything when I popped the hood, and the coolant is full. Maybe it was someone else's ride I was smelling (hopefully). My black truck is now a grey truck thanks to all of the road salt that's on the ground.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know my check engine came on monday but I'm not sure if it's the weather or because I ported my throttle body last wed. I may have flucked up the throttle body hope not.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddoo
FYI: that's normal for any truck. It won't lock until the tranny gets up to 75 degrees.

HWFSTRU: How cold is it where you are having trouble?
It's been at or below zero several nights here lately.
i know its normal i was just posting the only problem i had concerning cold weather

i dont let my truck warm up much either but its not a problem for me
Old 01-31-2007, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Moddoo
You think maybe water under the outside edge of the intake, that froze, might have caused the problem?

5.3LGMC -36 F or C?!
- must be Celcius, since you're in Canada

Yea i was, it can get to be -40C here which is about -35F if im correct? It can be DAMN cold...the schools and busses shut down once it gets passed -40....got some free days at home back when i was in school lol. But even at those temps my trucks have always started....you do plug them in once it gets passed about -30f tho. Thin oil and a good battery
Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5.3LGMC
Yea i was, it can get to be -40C here which is about -35F if im correct? It can be DAMN cold...the schools and busses shut down once it gets passed -40....got some free days at home back when i was in school lol. But even at those temps my trucks have always started....you do plug them in once it gets passed about -30f tho. Thin oil and a good battery
Bah, only sissy schools shut down at -40C, which is actually also -40F.

When it's that cold, it's not much fun to drive a manual tranny. The fluids so thick it'll stall the motor even in neutral.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BRRR
I forget the 2 temp scales cross at -40.
That is pretty cold man.
only -4F here today

That sucks that the door handle broke off. Did you really yank on it , or just pull it open like a normal person?

Mine stays in the garage, which stays around 20-30 F at night.
But leaving work in the evening, it sits at below zero F sometimes.

I think I'll be extra careful opening the door from now on!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Teching In

I don't think water around the base of the intake manifold was the issue. I don't even know how water would have gotten around the base of the intake anyway. My guess is the manifold seal failed due to the varied expansion rate between the ABS plastic intake and the alumininum heads in this cold weather. Either way it wasn't bad to replace it.

No, I didn't even pull hard on the handle. There are three studs set into the plastic that allow you to bolt the handle to the door - the glue holding the studs into the door failed and the handle just came off (leaving the studs in the door). GF said the look on my face and the colorful words that followed the incident were priceless. Man was I pissed...

Yeah, some of ya hit on the famous Chevy truck cold weather rattle... sometimes I feel like I am rolling my old rust bucket 77 Blazer when it gets cold. Sounds like its about to fall apart.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn. I've driven in -13* without problems.
We just went snowboarding and it was -2 at the base... AT 1pm. We left around 5:30 and it was fine.
My trans doesn't warm up worth a **** though. It might see 120 degrees, but it takes half the damn drive home to get out of cold mode or whatever it is. Even powerbraking didn't warm it up
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 AM
12 Second Truck Club

JESUS CHRIST! how so you guys live in that $hit???? Man I am freezing my butt off and its in the thirtys! I can only remember seeing single digets once in my life. If it got that cold here my truck would do what the blues brothers car did when they finally got to chicago and just fall apart .
Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA Trey, my tranny temp peaked at 88* in my 30 min drive to work today.
I have no idea, but it must be OK like that?
I had a cover on my tranny cooler earlier this year, that helped it stay around 110 when it was below zero. I took it off to tow in the middle of december. Maybe I'll put it back on.

Mines pretty new, and doesn't really rattle, but the z71 shocks are a bit rough in this cold.

Quick Reply: The cold is kicking my trucks butt...