Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

comp cams xer lobe

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 02:14 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been getting alot of recommendations for 918's and dual springs for piece of mind.

any thoughts?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to the professionals about valvetrain stability. Like you mentioned, you'll get mixed views on which way is most suitable (dual, single, rrs, ti retainers, spring pressure, exc). One person may have good luck running his valvetrain one way, but another guy may have dropped a valve...

I know guys like Ed Curtis will list the required valvetrain parts necessary to run one of his grinds. That's the bad thing about website choosing parts. I know places like Thunder give you options, so that you can decide. This is fine if your positive on what you want. One guys opinion off the net, may be different than that of the grinders recommendation to go along with his cam.

If you don't mind, tell me what you hear from Brian. I know he felt that the 918s were plenty capable of doing their job.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:05 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the XER lobes myself. I don't put tons of miles on my truck, so springs should last a long time. I would however suggest that you buy some titanium retainers just to lighten up the moving parts. With the more aggressive cam, its going to open up faster, hold just a bit more, then slam the door shut. Lighter parts will help.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:22 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
Talk to the professionals about valvetrain stability. Like you mentioned, you'll get mixed views on which way is most suitable (dual, single, rrs, ti retainers, spring pressure, exc). One person may have good luck running his valvetrain one way, but another guy may have dropped a valve...

I know guys like Ed Curtis will list the required valvetrain parts necessary to run one of his grinds. That's the bad thing about website choosing parts. I know places like Thunder give you options, so that you can decide. This is fine if your positive on what you want. One guys opinion off the net, may be different than that of the grinders recommendation to go along with his cam.

If you don't mind, tell me what you hear from Brian. I know he felt that the 918s were plenty capable of doing their job.
PM sent
Old 03-29-2005, 06:23 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by BigTex
I like the XER lobes myself. I don't put tons of miles on my truck, so springs should last a long time. I would however suggest that you buy some titanium retainers just to lighten up the moving parts. With the more aggressive cam, its going to open up faster, hold just a bit more, then slam the door shut. Lighter parts will help.
sounds like solid advice to me
Old 03-31-2005, 07:59 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3

any new news?