Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Complete E-Fan Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete E-Fan Info

Thinking about ugrading to the 05 OEM e-fans. Anyone know exactly what Ill need to get and do to accomplish this? Truck in sig.

Are there any technical writeups yet?
Are the aftermarket or ls-1 e-fans better?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't quote me on this, but I do not think that the 05 fans will fit on your truck. The 05's come with the 34" wide radiator. I know my 04 sierra came with the 27". Double check the width of your radiator, I think you will either have to use LS1 fans or the Flex-A-Lite #292's.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Could the tow package increase the radiator size? How about the Z71 option?

Are you happy with the FAL fans? Would you consider it a worthy modification with the truck mods in my sig?

Also, I was thinking about the shift kit and vette servos, but I do tow alot and have no idea how those two mods will affect the towing?
How do you like your shift kit and servo set up on the crew cab?
Old 01-17-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I have the tow package on my Sierra 1500 Crew Cab and it only had the smaller Radiator. I am not real sure about the Z71's.

I like my FAL's. They cool the motor fine and got rid of that awefull stock fan noise. I do think they are a worthy mod. I can't speak on the LS1 fans, but I hear they are just as good as the FAL's, just the FAL's look a little more stock, if that concerns you at all.

I truely love my Shift Kit/Servo, and torque converter install. If you already have a custom tune, this is the thing to do in my opinion. I would have to say this was the best thing I have done so far. It allowed me to have all my torque management removed and the thing just gets it now. Under normal driving though the truck almost feels completely stock, except the 1-2 shift is a little firmer. Thats the only thing that feels different. You will need a tune though to run the shift kit and servo. At least I did. I had to change my shift points and downshifts and such. Plus remove the torque management. It is definitely worth it.

I don't think that a shift kit and servo would affect your towing at all. The only thing that might hurt it would be if you installed a high rpm torque converter. I would stick with a 2600 or lower most likely. I know that there are guys running larger stalls here and are still able to tow though.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

My 2000 Z71 has the small radiator, Wifes 2004 Tahoe has the 30"
mabe I'll trade her when I send her on vacation
Old 01-17-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The 34" Was Only in the SS and HD Trucks....

Originally Posted by 900Z1
My 2000 Z71 has the small radiator, Wifes 2004 Tahoe has the 30"
mabe I'll trade her when I send her on vacation
....or larger from 04 back.
My 03 Z71 had the 27" core. I put in the FAL 292's. Troubles at first until I got the newer version speed controller (VSC), the good fuse holder, connected the large + & - wires directly to the battery, and made sure all my female spade connectors were good and snug fitting.
Notes for success:
If you go with the FAL's be sure and plug or tape over the fan cycle adjustment hole to keep it clean in there.
If you have the OE thermostat (and with the AC off) do not adjust the fans to come on when the OE temp gauge gets to 210. Let it go about 2 thickness of the needle past before you have them come on or they will cycle way too much. This is what my 05 does and the fans cycle way less often than the FAL's did.
When you push the temp probe through the radiator, cover the tip with a 1" or so wide and thick piece of the black foam rubber or something. Use RTV to glue it in place. This prevents the incoming air to contact the probe thus sending a less than accurate reading to the VSC.
The hot signal wire for the AC clutch kick in on my 03 was green. On mine I did not have to splice in at the compressor. (It's tight down there) There is a bundle of wires coming out at the power steering pump that has the green wire in there. Just use a sharp signal probe to find it.
If I were to do it again? I would try and talk FAL down on price without their VSC Kit and look into the PCM control with an 05's harness because they just do not run at all above 40 or 45 mph, or just go with the Delta VSC. If I could not get them without the kit I would do as I did above.

You will like the city driving mpg savings, and a tad better on the highway also. And the AC is ice cold even when sitting in a traffic jam in the summer. The OE clutch fan would just not let it do that. With the clutch fan in the city I would never know when it would drag. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Call Greg over at G & R Auto parts 1-800-678-3377 x104. He has brand new complete 05 OEM fan setups for much cheaper than you can piece them together for ($220 shipped!). He also has plenty of new OEM 34" radiators as well. Tell him Shawn sent you. You can get the plug and play wiring harness complete with correct connectors from nelsonperformance.com and let your PCM control the fans just like the 05s.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

What do the radiators run price wise? Any issues with dropping these into the 04's?

Also, performance wise which of the following, (FAL, LS1, LT1, OEM) perform the best, so far my research has not given a definite answer.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Should just drop right in...Give him a ring, he has all the answers and just about any part you are looking for OEM wise....
Old 01-18-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone know if I need to retune with the E-fans?
The PCM is on its way, and dont really want to outdate it before it gets here!