Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Compression test #'s and plug pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your PCV valve?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PSM
bust the ls7 is a gm stroked motor... and as far as I know they don't burn oil
They do burn some oil and the cylinder walls are much longer, and they use higher tension oil rings, versus the low tension rings used in 95% of stroker motors. Also the LS7 doesnt have forged pistons, they are hypeurtectic.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
They do burn some oil and the cylinder walls are much longer, and they use higher tension oil rings, versus the low tension rings used in 95% of stroker motors. Also the LS7 doesnt have forged pistons, they are hypeurtectic.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:13 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

everything looks perfect to me in those pics. i burn oil on the last 2 engines and im certain its due to my driving. a burnt quart is normal for my driving habbits (hit 130-140 atleast 4-8 times per tank )
Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

But 2 qts in 1000 mi?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i seen motors that burned 2 qts in 700 miles
Old 01-30-2007, 08:49 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
some motors just use oil...it sucks. my old 6.0 has compression from 170 to 180 and its a 11.1 motor with 50k on it and goes thru oil. new valve seals and etc. i even got rid of the pCV and did the breather setup...only smoke at WOT...
Mine only smokes at idle for some reason. WOT is fine.

Originally Posted by trever1t
#6 looks a little darker but it could be the lighting? Great pics btw.
#6 is darker on one side, but lighter on the other? Weird.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Everything looks fine to me, your compression is good. They arent excessively black so I dont know man. Try a leakdown test it will tell you the true story of what condition your rings are in.
Leakdown test on Friday, I found someone who has a kit that I can use.

Originally Posted by blown3qtr
How many miles have you put on the motor so far? What kind of oil did you use for break in?
I was talking to one of the guys from SDPC when iwas putting in the order for the rest of my parts. He said within the past couple of years they were having problems with the new motors they were building. He talked to a rep from an oil company who said it has to do with the additives in the oil. he suggested to use Rotella, valvoline NLS racing 10w30, or Pennzoil Racing oil. It had something to do with an additive these have that normal engine oil lacks. Sorry I can't remember. He also suggested using a bottle of GM EOS for break in.

Man, I feel your pain.
I don't know if this information is helpful but I thought I would pass it along. I hope you get it staightened out soon.

plugs don't look bad to me. I double checked my heads to see if 6&8 had anything in common to cause the soot (oil passage). Personally I would have used teflon thread sealer on the rocker bolts, but it sounds like you did a top notch job sealing them as long as you were able to clean the oil residue REAL good.

Good Luck Bro,
Alex
I've been using Valvoline Racing 20w50 as recommended by my builder from the start (extra additives as you mentioned). I'm going to re-seal the rocker bolts again when I change the valley cover. When I pull the intake manifold I'll be able to look at the intake valves and see if they are showing oil on the top side.

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
How does the oil look? If you having some blow by by the rings or something like that the oil may look darker than it should. IMO the oil should look brand new, since it has less that 1000k on it and a new build. I agree with what was said above, you gotta do a leak down test to see if the rings are sealing.

You could try pulling the dip stick while it is idleing to see if any vapor is coming out. My last motor in my car had bad rings and it would eat oil, but you could tell cause there was so much blow by threw the PVC and dip stick tube. But that was on a ford, so don't know if they would act the same.
The oil did look pretty dark IIRC when I changed it. I have almost 2K on the motor now, about 1500 on the oil that's in there. I'll try the dipstick and see if there's any vapor.

Originally Posted by moregrip
did you use a napier second ring?

Rex. the guy who built my motor, has a special ring set that he likes to spec to keep them from being oil burners.
It was either napier or ductile iron, I can't remember for sure. The oil ring is standard oil, +/- 20 lb (according to the website).

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Stroker engines typically use more oil as well as forged piston engines since the cyl tollerances are much looser(typicaly .003-.0045" vs .0005-.0015" of cast/hypereutectic pistons). The theory behind the stroker engines oil use is due to the wrist pin moved up higher in the piston and exposing the back side of the oil ring. More oil is avaliable to the oil ring this way thus more leaks by. Also, longer stroke engines pistons rock more at BDC. The greater rod angle, looser piston to bore tollerances, and the fact part of the supporting skirt protrudes down below the sleeve/bore giving less stability at this point; the rocking and partial unloading of tension of the rings causes more oil to leak by.
At least that is what I have read and some of my own ideas thrown it there.
The wrist pin did go through the oil ring seat, but I asked my builder about that and he said he's done a million of them that way and never had a problem. I understand the theory though.

Originally Posted by chevyguy7802
Have you checked your PCV valve?
I disconnected the PCV system and let it idle for awhile and it still smoked. When I revved it up, the smoke cleared, and when I dropped it back to idle it started smoking again.

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
After about 3 weeks of a plug change my #5 starts to look like your #6, except mine is really oily. About 2-3 weeks later my #5 is crusted with burnt oil and starts to foul. AND I STILL don't use oil like you. I need to do the leak down test myself. I haven't tried the compression test yet either, but like cody says, a leak down will make you feel alot better.( for better or worse) At least you plugs look real good and compression is pretty spot on.
These plug have about 1500 miles on them now. We'll see again in a few weeks I guess.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smoking at start up = somewhat normal from leaking valve guides or have seen this from syntheic oil alone, particularly Royal Purple in 3 different vehicles.

Smoking blue while iding = not normal

I'd give it a couple thousand more mile and see what you got. Sometimes certain grit/grain stone on the final hone don't mix with some rings and take longer to seat. If the leakdown check comes out good i'd run her and keep her topped off and don't worry about it. Some stoker motors just use some oil. Hell the BBC's back in the 60's used to burn lots of oil straight off the show room floor and forever and never had any problems as long as you kept them full.
When I say lots, something similar to what you are seeing. But maybe 1 qt in 1000 miles from the stories i've heard.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm running a napier second ring and higher tension oil ring, your probably running something similar. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that oil consumption rate.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not comfortable with it at all....it needs to be fixed one way or another. If it comes down to tearing the motor down again and re-thinking some of the components I'll probably do that. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

Quick Reply: Compression test #'s and plug pics