Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Coolant?-Dexcool or Green Stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'd stick with the Dexcool since that's what it came with and that's what the manufacturer recommends. I've heard of problems with the early gen Dexcool in the 4.3's, but nothing bad about it in the GENIII engines. Pretty sure that you don't want to go mixing the Dex with the green stuff either...if you did decide to switch you'd really want to flush the system really good first.
yep just change it when it says too thats all i changed mine and it was fine no "clumping" or "gelling" at all and it runs fine Dexcool all the way
Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Looks like I'm getting about a 50/50 response here.
I guess I'll flip a coin.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No dont go green, stay with dexcool, obviousley gm put it in there for a reason, and bullshit it dont clog anything, i just did a full coolant flush and there were not any corrosion or whatever they say comes out , gel or something. BS stay with dexcool.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, this is getting sickening. Dexcool is known to gel up and turn to sludge-thats not an opinion its a fact. The truth is, if you flush either type at 50,000 miles you shouldn't have any problems. But why take the chance? The green stuff is the better choice. And that info comes straight from my mechanic who happens to be an ASE master technician. I would trust him with anything, he is the best. Did I mention I am my own mechanic?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do know there were worries in the GM camp that the 4.3s didn't like the new dexcool stuff much and the 8.1s didn't either. Even service bulletins. My dads good friend is a regional service manager for GM and even said it was ok to run the green stuff in new vehicles if the dexcool was flushed completely. It should also be noted that Mercedes Benz doesn't use long life stuff why? hum food for though. Maybe their engines are too low tech and they don't really know anything about engineering so they go with the green stuff. Lets face it, just like 15K mile oil changes, 150K miles between coolant is tooooo long. if you flush once every two years you'll be fine with either i'm sure since you'll always have fresh coolant.

My .02 cents.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

So what's the best way to flush it all out without leaving a little in the heads or any other nook and cranny? Would a local fluid shop do a good enough job for me?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Do what you want. If there was a problem with Dexcool.......GM would have already pulled it and began using something else. They have been using it for quite some time now.
By the way.....there are a lot of ASE certified master techs out there.
That is just one with his own opinion.

Jim
Old 11-07-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I don't I agree with your statements above on the green coolant.
Your not going to do a flush and make a gasket stop leaking either.
The Dexcool coolant has additives to prevent corrosion of the aluminum parts that the coolant flows through. Like the heads and any other aluminum parts.
So your mechanic knows more about coolant types than GM huh?
GM didn't just decide to switch to a different coolant for nothing.

Go with Dexcool!
You should flush your coolant about every 60,000 mi.
Tranny fluid needs changing every 24,000 mi. Not a flush. Just drain pan and change filter. Not all the fluid is changed, but there is no need to replace all of it.

Jim
Look. I take that response personally. I have a serious problem with you calling me a liar, which you did. I try to give 100% facts on this site with very little "opinionatied" responses and I don't blow smoke up peoples' *** like some do to just have a reason to be post whoring because I don't have anything else to do.(and no I'm not talking about you) My mechanic doesn't know more than gm but I take it personal that you would second doubt him, because you are talking to him. The only thing I pay someone to do is front end alignments and mount and balance tires because it isn't cost worthy to purchase that equipment. I have a 04 Tahoe and a 05 chevy truck and they both have Dexcool in them. I have had no problems with them and I am now runing the stuff that is supposed to be compatible with both in my 05 and have had no problems. The 04 has 18K miles on it and the 05 has 8k. The dexcool will not be in there past 60k miles, Ethlene glycol will be in there after that.
I know people are quick to state the negatives about something new because people are affraid/resistant to change, but I just stated a 100% factual occurance. I gave my opinion that deposit that I saw in the system might have been impacted in the joint and swelled causing the leak. I have no proof of that but I figured any competant man could have understood what I meant. And yes, I called you incompetant due to your response. If you would like to respond this please do so to via PM or call me at 256-476-2598 and I would be happy to discuss in further my experiences.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by L-EATER
OK, this is getting sickening. Dexcool is known to gel up and turn to sludge-thats not an opinion its a fact. The truth is, if you flush either type at 50,000 miles you shouldn't have any problems. But why take the chance? The green stuff is the better choice. And that info comes straight from my mechanic who happens to be an ASE master technician. I would trust him with anything, he is the best. Did I mention I am my own mechanic?

I use the green stuff
its worked for years in many engines with aluminum parts

as far as GMs reasoning
who knows
maybe the same reason they put plastic accumulators in a 4L60

Ive also heard that tap water is bad with the dexcool
so if you were to use dex Id throw some distilled water in there to play it safe
Old 11-07-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

shouldent you use distilled in any radiator?

Quick Reply: Coolant?-Dexcool or Green Stuff?