Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cooling the IAT-Anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling the IAT-Anyone tried this?

I know my truck has iat's that seem to kill my performance with the whipple sc.

Has anyone tried running a small line from the a/c to the airbox to help cool the temps down?

Just curious.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bare with me for a second here...

The Mass Airflow meter consists of several heated wires with current passing through them. The current's frequency is varied to hold the wires at a constant temperature and thus resistance. As the air flowing over the wires cools them, the computer must compensate for the increase in resistance by increasing the current. This all happens very quickly. The computer needs to know what the temperature of the air flowing through the MAF sensor is so that it can calculate the volume of air flowing based on the two inputs.

IAT serves another purpose. The computer will only run full timing advance in cold weather. The hotter it gets the more timing comes out.

Here is where it gets complicated....
With the Whipple kit the IAT may be moved to the discharge side of the supercharger. There are several advantages to this for a stock motor with stock compression ratio. First, the IAT will see the actual temperature of the air entering the manifold and the timing will be retarded to prevent detonation. Second, because of the relationship of the IAT and MAF, if the IAT is seeing hotter air than is actually flowing through the MAF sensor, the computer will add more than the usual amount of fuel during Power Enrichment (Wide Open Throttle) Mode. Superchargers need both a rich mixture and retarded timing to prevent detonation.

The bottom line is:
Don't mess with it unless you are comfortable with detonation.

I don't think you'll get a better response than that...
Old 11-10-2004, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried running a small line from the a/c to the airbox to help cool the temps down?
I think the key is to cool the air after compressing it and before it is read by the MAF (via an inline intercooler). I wouldn't think there is as much to be gained by cooling the air prior to compressing it, as it will just heat back up when it is compressed. I think trying to cool the air w/ AC would be a lot more difficult than it would be worth.