Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cooling issues with electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling issues with electric fans

I have truck in signature...full bolt on LQ9 with the stock 190 thermostat. My truck never used to get above 205 with my clutch fan. Now that I have the LS1 fans, my truck will run around 195 cruising, but if Im sitting in traffic on a hot day, the temps can shoot up to 225 pretty quickly. The fans are snug against my stock radiator and both fan motors are running hard but doesnt seem to be enough. It will cool down if I let it idle with the hood up after getting that hot. Does this mean I need a bigger radiator, I never heard of someone having issues with LS1 fans not keeping up and dont see how going to a cooler thermostat will help.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:20 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem, 05 fans were the fix, how are you controling them?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm I have your basic setup with FI, I have yet to have my temps get above, 205, sitting in the slop.. Are you sure that they are both running, turning freeley? How long has this been happening??

John
Old 07-25-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I had the same problem, 05 fans were the fix, how are you controling them?
They are being controlled through the computer, had the pin activated when I got my tune. They come on right around 200 and shut off if im going over 35mph, or something like that.

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Hmm I have your basic setup with FI, I have yet to have my temps get above, 205, sitting in the slop.. Are you sure that they are both running, turning freeley? How long has this been happening??

John
They are both running and turning freely. Its always ran this way since the installation, but sometimes now I get stuck in traffic so it has now become an issue I need to address.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

I was doing a little searching and may have found something that might help, but something I didnt think was or is neccessary. I dont hardly ever run the AC in my truck, so I never bothered to hook the AC wire up that came with my fan harness. I read that when this wire gets juice,(+) it turns the fans on high. Does that mean they are always running at low speed if I dont have that hooked up? It overheats even without running the AC.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds more like a half clogged radiator or the fins are dirty and the air can't flow across the core to cool it off.

another thought when are the fans commanded to come on?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that AC wire hookup would only make the fans run harder if the AC is running. Dont think thats ur problem
Old 07-25-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
I would think that AC wire hookup would only make the fans run harder if the AC is running. Dont think thats ur problem
Im thinkin the same thing, I may just run that wire to a switch and run them on high without the AC or short it out in the harness somewhere so that when they come on, they are always on high via the computer. I know this should not be the solution, but this POS always gives me a hard way to go, fighting me the whole way. Maybe I got a lazy water pump, or need to change out the antifreeze and run more water in the mix..
Old 07-26-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try some water wetter. Some guys have had luck with bringing their temps down with it.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is exactly why I'm staying with the clutch fan.

Quick Reply: Cooling issues with electric fans