Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cooling problem with e-fans and 34" radiator

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
OK did a few test runs towing up the hill...here's how they went

1st run: PCM wire manually triggered, no a/c
2nd run: PCM wire manually triggered, a/c on
3rd run: Fans triggered by PCM, a/c on

There was almost no difference between the three pulls, all three times the truck got up to 225 or so. Damn, eliminated the easiest fix. I'm going to replace the t-stat next week and see if that helps. Is one t-stat as good as the next? Can I go get one a Autozone or Checker or should I get an OEM? I don't want a lower temp thermostat...started a thread awhile back asking the advantage and the conclusion seemed to be that they will do more harm than good unless you have a multi-core radiator to support the lower temps. I want to stick with the original temp t-stat.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314872

Ken - I see the flaps now, I am retarded sorry.
Highly recommend the Robert Shaw High-Volume Thermostat...

Also, again recommend you go with a 180 thermostat....don't recommend the 160 at all...opens way to early.

Ken
Old 05-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

OK did a few test runs towing up the hill...here's how they went

1st run: PCM wire manually triggered, no a/c
2nd run: PCM wire manually triggered, a/c on
3rd run: Fans triggered by PCM, a/c on

There was almost no difference between the three pulls, all three times the truck got up to 225 or so. Damn, eliminated the easiest fix. I'm going to replace the t-stat next week and see if that helps. Is one t-stat as good as the next? Can I go get one a Autozone or Checker or should I get an OEM? I don't want a lower temp thermostat...started a thread awhile back asking the advantage and the conclusion seemed to be that they will do more harm than good unless you have a multi-core radiator to support the lower temps. I want to stick with the original temp t-stat.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314872

Ken - I see the flaps now, I am retarded sorry.
Highly recommend the Robert Shaw High-Volume Thermostat...

Also, again recommend you go with a 180 thermostat....don't recommend the 160 at all...opens way to early.

Ken
Old 05-28-2005, 11:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

160 stat holds the temp in the 170's. i really dont know the best temp but for a boosted set up i like the 160 stat. the whipple even comes with a 160stat.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:09 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02denali
did you ever check that upper hose. i would do that first. that sucker caused me a few headaches.
Yeah I did, when I squeezed it though I got solid water flow, no gurgling or anything. Let it sit for a little bit, level in the overflow tank never went down.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:13 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by parish8
160 stat holds the temp in the 170's. i really dont know the best temp but for a boosted set up i like the 160 stat. the whipple even comes with a 160stat.
Well, maybe I will go with a lower one later, but for now I want to stick to changing one variable at a time. If I change the stat and keep having the same problem then I have eliminated it as the cause, but if I put in a low temp stat and still have the problem then I don't know if it is the lower temp causing the stat to run open loop. Controlled experimenting.

Keep in mind that I am in Phoenix....will be towing up hill in 115 degree weather before the summer is over, dunno if that makes a difference or not...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:46 AM
High on diesel fumes

Well **** replaced the stat, no change still gets hot pulling the hill. I just checked the fitting that runs from the top passenger side of the radiator to the overflow tank, it was pretty tiny so I drilled it out, flows lots of coolant now, maybe that will make a difference.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:23 AM
High on diesel fumes

I just saw an ebay auction for a LS1/LQ4 water pump...is that the same one as the LM7?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:08 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

if it is for an ls1 the top water outlet will face the rad. if it is for an lq4 or-4.8-5.3-6.0 then the outlet will be turned upwards towards the hood.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:41 AM
High on diesel fumes

Same water flow?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well **** replaced the stat, no change still gets hot pulling the hill. I just checked the fitting that runs from the top passenger side of the radiator to the overflow tank, it was pretty tiny so I drilled it out, flows lots of coolant now, maybe that will make a difference.

I have been having all the same problems you have been having only gets hot sometimes. I thought it was the clutch fan so I bought the e-fans didnt help. Bought a new t-stat didnt help checked the hose looked good. I am now going to buy a radiator and sending unit see if that helps. Then I am going to buy a water pump. Is there any thing else that it could be?

Quick Reply: Cooling problem with e-fans and 34" radiator