Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cooling problem with e-fans and 34" radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah they are stacked plate tru-cool units (same mfg as b&m supercooler), just wider and thinner. Not sure what I'm gonna put in yet, may get some perma-cool ones, would like to make the ones I have work if possible. We'll see...I saw some electric fans at pep-boys the other day that look like they may fit the coolers that I have.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:28 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
I saw some electric fans at pep-boys the other day that look like they may fit the coolers that I have.
That sounds like it could be a nice set-up. (I was gonna say "cool" set-up, but the pun might have been a little much )
Old 06-06-2005, 12:58 AM
High on diesel fumes

OK so....I decided to tackle this again today and hopefully get it taken care of. I went to Pep Boys and got two Hayden e-fans...see pics. I had to lose the plastic rock guard to install the trans coolers like this, but I hardly every go off pavement anymore so who cares. For now I have the wiring ghetto-rigged so I have to plug two wires together to get the fans to come on, will install a switch sometime and I intend to keep these manually operated only, should only need them when I am towing.

The two frame pieces are spaced exactly perfect for the coolers I have, just drilled a couple of small holes and got some 1/2" self-tapping screws and loc-tite'd em pretty good to keep them from backing out. I hope it holds up ok, feels pretty solid right now. Then routed the lines down from the factory heavy duty cooler fittings. (In the first pic you can see where I got trans fluid all over the place when I first did the cooler and forgot to tighten the hose clamps....I have degreased the engine bay and radiator 3 or 4 times now ans it's still a mess)

budhayes3, you were right about airflow restriction. I had to get some foam tape and seal the edges of the fans to the trans coolers. There is a place on the outside of the coolers where there are plates only and no channels between them, and the majority of the air still blows through those tiny openings instead of through the cooler. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with a tube-and-fin cooler instead of these, I can't believe how restrictive they are even when I have a fan attached directly to it.

I did not have a chance to test the new setup and see if it fixed the problem completely, will keep the thread updated as soon as I get a chance.
Attached Thumbnails Cooling problem with e-fans and 34" radiator-dscn1264.jpg   Cooling problem with e-fans and 34" radiator-dscn1265.jpg   Cooling problem with e-fans and 34" radiator-dscn1266.jpg   Cooling problem with e-fans and 34" radiator-dscn1267.jpg  
Old 06-06-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you figured that one out. it never crossed my mind that it would be those things. The mounting looks good. This info is good to know when I will be getting a tranny cooler.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, tube and fin? I thought the stacked plate type was better. I'm so confused!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:18 AM
High on diesel fumes

I dunno, so did I....but it restricted a lot of airflow to the radiator.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:19 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
Glad you figured that one out. it never crossed my mind that it would be those things. The mounting looks good. This info is good to know when I will be getting a tranny cooler.
Meeee toooo!!!

I'm glad I can be your ginuea pig for the trans cooler....you can be my ginuea pig for the motor swap.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting way to mount the dual transmission coolers. That should be doing some serious cooling on the transmission.

Does it also double as a brush guard / weed whacker with the fans there?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:15 AM
High on diesel fumes

Good idea dude! I should start mowing lawns to earn back some of the cash spent on the fans.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:20 AM
High on diesel fumes

BTW...driving around town this afternoon at 95 degrees, trans got up to 180 without fans running. I plugged the fans in and it was down to 165 within minutes.

Driving on the highway tonight 75 degrees out it was between 150 and 165 without the fans running....this should keep the tranny plenty cool.

Quick Reply: Cooling problem with e-fans and 34" radiator