Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Correct Start Up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Start Up?

I pretty much just had to rebuild my motor and I'm gonna start it up. Is the right way to do it is to pull the fuel pump relay, let the motor crank over til I have oil pressure, then re-install the relay, and fire it up?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I would just start it up. Thats what I did.. If you see that you do not have oil pressure in a few seconds shut it off... It should pump right up
Old 01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Launching!

I just tried to start it. I cranked it over a few times, then put the relay back in and tried to crank it. It blew out some smelly *** white smoke and didn't really run. I tried to start it again but the battery has no juice, so I have to wait for someone to get home to try and jump it because my friend has my charger. I only saw the oil pressure go up to 15 psi with it barely running before it shut off and I couldn't restart it. Guess I will have to try later.

And one other thing, when I put the intake manifold back on the other day, I checked the TB opening and closing the blade and it was stiff. Could this be a problem?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by BlownChevySS
I just tried to start it. I cranked it over a few times, then put the relay back in and tried to crank it. It blew out some smelly *** white smoke and didn't really run. I tried to start it again but the battery has no juice, so I have to wait for someone to get home to try and jump it because my friend has my charger. I only saw the oil pressure go up to 15 psi with it barely running before it shut off and I couldn't restart it. Guess I will have to try later.

And one other thing, when I put the intake manifold back on the other day, I checked the TB opening and closing the blade and it was stiff. Could this be a problem?
Is it cable or electric? If it's cable, it really shouldn't be all that stiff, while the electric motor driven throttle bodies will have some resistance.

BTW, I believe that they sell an ultra expensive oil system priming tool (I remember moregrip referring to it), but you can just disable the fuel and crank it until you see pressure come up on the gauge...most guys don't even go that far and I haven't heard of anyone having problems.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Launching!

TB is electric and seemed stiffer than usual. I tried just cranking it over with the relay out and the battery was pretty much dead, but the oil pressure didn't seem to go up. The o-ring I pulled off the pickup tube was the blue/green one. I replaced it with the red one because everyone said it was okay because it was for the truck. I guess I will know how it all works out later if I can get the jumper cables on it.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yep, the red o-ring is the one you want...now get some cables on that biotch and let us know how you made out!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Got it started! It runs a bit rough and has 2 codes and 47 unran codes :crazy: I'm thinkin it has something to do with the fact that I haven't tuned out the rear o2s from when I got rid of the cats and it only has about 2 gallons of gas in it that has been sittin in the tank for a few months. I'll let you all know how it drives tomorrow when I put fuel in it. Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-16-2010, 06:23 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

yep, I primed the motor with "break in" oil prior to firing for the first time. Instant oil pressure.