Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Corsa compared to Magnaflow after 1 Minnesota winter - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:05 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is quite a difference there, although the truck in the first pic does seem more rusty in general...there's alot of factors I'd consider before the comparo...

Are both of the trucks driven the same amount of miles over the same roads every day? Are they parked in the same spot all day and night, is one garaged and one parked outside, etc,? There's alot to consider.

FWIW, my Gibson stainless cat-back rusted like the Magaflow one and has held up like that for about 7 years now. I removed the tail pipes last summer when I lowered the truck, and although they were covered in surface rust, they were solid.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Washing has a ton to do with it also. Salt will tear things up if not washed off.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of these ideas on different trucks and conditions make some sense.
But, explain all the rust on MY magnaflow muffler, esp the tubing.
It looks ok around the letters, but the rest is getting pretty rusty.
It is not spreading to my corsa tubing.

Yes, the small mag muffler helped a lot.
I'll dig up the thread.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:31 PM
13 Second Truck Club

A number of things could be contributing to the rust. The material of construction, weather conditions, and the amount of heat the system is exposed to all contribute. You may have got a cheaper grade of stainless. The market has driven the cost of many grades of stainless through the roof over the last few years.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a Maggy on my truck for 4 years with SS tips made from raw SS purchased from Burns Stainless, they both barely showed any rust, believe it or not my Maggy still had a pretty nice shine to it. I used SS tubing from Burns for the whole system.
The quality of the SS has a ton to do with it. Burns and StainlessWorks are the only 2 places I get it from. With very good luck from both.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

My Magnaflow cat back looked just like that after one winter. After two more winters it hasn't gotten any worse and everything is rock solid. In fact if I broke out the polish, the muffler would still look brand new. I'm sure that Magnaflow uses a lower (and cheaper) grade stainless than the Corsa for it's piping, hence the price difference.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

the Magnflow has a 304 ss muffler which won't rust and 409 ss pipes which will discolor
and show rust, mine did the same.
the corsa probably has 304 muffler and pipes.
althought the Magnaflow flow looks like crap it is still solid as a rock
Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Here is the thread about the add on mag muffler. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...highlight=rasp
Old 04-30-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think everybody has made some good points about this. but i think that it goes back to the guy that said maybe they use a cheaper grade of stainless. And the comment the guy made about his exhaust holding up, even though it was rusty.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM

Kinda of an FYI...

I CANNOT cornfirm this... but... from a VERY reliable source...

big name exhaust manu's have or are shipping some or all their manu ops to China. China is now building exhaust systems with 200 series "stainless" that they call 304. This **** will RUST! On top of the fact that some manu's are importing cheap *** stainless to fab exhaust systems. So, whether the system is made in China... or made here from materials imported from there chances are you'll be getting inferior stainless. The exhaust industry has become more cut throat than ever... to the point to where they are now building expensive systems out of crappy material... and the bottom line is the consumer gets screwed.

Bill

Quick Reply: Corsa compared to Magnaflow after 1 Minnesota winter - PICS