Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Corsa compared to Magnaflow after 1 Minnesota winter - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Bill Reid,
you got that right
Old 05-02-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tig
Bill Reid,
you got that right
Its sad brotha... I also heard Rath was purchased by a "banking firm"... hope its not Chinese owned. For those that don't know... Rath is American stainless...

China is buying anything and everything that is metal related... driving material costs through the roof. Here is another example... China is buying all of the concrete... so much so its driving the prices for conrete to more than double the going rate. Arizona is booming... and concrete prices have severely impacted directly the consumer and home builders...

Bill
Old 05-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown3qtr

Easy fix = MOVE
Yah, that's not good to look at
Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like you can shine up the Corsa system pretty easily and it would look like new!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had experience with both companies on an OEM level. Magnaflow is ****. They are marketing experts. Corsa is real quality and performance driven by engineering and R&D.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn Mario Andretti and abusing my trust... i mean come on those commercials are the only reason any of us bought magnaflow...
Old 05-05-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Kinda of an FYI...

I CANNOT cornfirm this... but... from a VERY reliable source...

big name exhaust manu's have or are shipping some or all their manu ops to China. China is now building exhaust systems with 200 series "stainless" that they call 304. This **** will RUST! On top of the fact that some manu's are importing cheap *** stainless to fab exhaust systems. So, whether the system is made in China... or made here from materials imported from there chances are you'll be getting inferior stainless. The exhaust industry has become more cut throat than ever... to the point to where they are now building expensive systems out of crappy material... and the bottom line is the consumer gets screwed.

Bill
Corsa is hand made and hand welded in Ohio
Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by treyZ28
Corsa is hand made and hand welded in Ohio
... and I am sure they will continue to do so... until the market makes it unprofitable. That may or may not happen... but it does constantly test business strategies including where materials are purchased from. I bought one of Corsa's systems certainly not for the price... but because I knew of the quality and support from being a past vendor for them.

Bill
Old 05-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Magnaflow mufflers are made of T409 - Corsa from T304 which is a chromium-nickel alloy ('austenitic'). A magnet will stick to 400-series stainless because it has more iron. ('ferritic' & 'Martensitic') T409 is a straight chromium alloy.

If an exhaust system supplier uses a higher grade of stainless, (eg., T304) they'll make sure you know it. (and the price will reflect it)

T409 isn't bad and Magnaflow makes a good muffler but it's more likely to rust in states where salt is used to keep the roads clear.

There are all sorts of stainless steel 'recipies' out there - something for every application.

Claiming a product is made of 'stainless steel' doesn't tell you enough.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ngianop
Magnaflow mufflers are made of T409 - Corsa from T304 which is a chromium-nickel alloy ('austenitic'). A magnet will stick to 400-series stainless because it has more iron. ('ferritic' & 'Martensitic') T409 is a straight chromium alloy.

If an exhaust system supplier uses a higher grade of stainless, (eg., T304) they'll make sure you know it. (and the price will reflect it)

T409 isn't bad and Magnaflow makes a good muffler but it's more likely to rust in states where salt is used to keep the roads clear.

There are all sorts of stainless steel 'recipies' out there - something for every application.

Claiming a product is made of 'stainless steel' doesn't tell you enough.

Hope this helps.
... your right... and to add to that... consumers generally are not schooled in the "recipies" of stainless steel. They buy it because the assumption is that its not supposed to rust, flows and sounds better than stock, and will outlast mild aluminized steel. Magnaflow as well as other manu's of cheaply made and priced exhaust products are banking on assumptions. Just my opinion

Bill

Quick Reply: Corsa compared to Magnaflow after 1 Minnesota winter - PICS