Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Could this work-cam, light headwork, & Kenne Bell blower?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:31 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this work-cam, light headwork, & Kenne Bell blower?

I was wondering if this would work with dyno-tuning? The cam I have right now, Ported/Polished 5.3 heads w/ 2.00" intake valves, & a Kenne Bell Supercharger running a 7-8lb pulley? I figure if a 7-8 pulley was run, it would get at least 6lbs of boost considering a little loss w/ the headwork.

I think this set-up would work real good. I was thinking about the procharger but, I looked at few before/after dynos and the gain didn't start until ~4000rpms. It showed a little loss under 4000rpms. I figure w/ a twin screw, I could get a crap-load of low-end torque and upper horsepower.

Does everybody think this would work good? I wouldn't have to reflash my computer or any kind of crap, would I? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Could this work-cam, light headwork, & Kenne Bell blower?

That setup would work Very well. Other than the heads, I know I have the same Crane cam with .500/.500 lift instead of .530 I would say definately go twin screw sc. I know the term is overused, but the power under the curve is what you want for a daily driver / once a month(ish) drag racer.
You should not have to reflash your computer as long as fuel issues were good. With the Kenne Bell kit, they give you eight larger than stock injectors, so I think you should be fine. If I remember correctly Kenne Bell gives you a tune to download from a hand held programer too.

With the heads, look at some aluminum LQ9 6.0L heads and see how they would flow compared to the ported 5.3L heads. (I am oretty sure the LQ9 heads flow like LS6 heads) They would give you a little bit less compression on your motor too, so you would be able to run more boost safely too.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Could this work-cam, light headwork, & Kenne Bell blower?

I was wondering if this would work with dyno-tuning? The cam I have right now, Ported/Polished 5.3 heads w/ 2.00" intake valves, & a Kenne Bell Supercharger running a 7-8lb pulley? I figure if a 7-8 pulley was run, it would get at least 6lbs of boost considering a little loss w/ the headwork.

I think this set-up would work real good. I was thinking about the procharger but, I looked at few before/after dynos and the gain didn't start until ~4000rpms. It showed a little loss under 4000rpms. I figure w/ a twin screw, I could get a crap-load of low-end torque and upper horsepower.

Does everybody think this would work good? I wouldn't have to reflash my computer or any kind of crap, would I? Thanks.
Isn't a KB compressor a hot air twin screw? If you live in a hot climate (like Texas is 70% of the year), I wouldn't buy a non-intercooled blower. You'd get all your lowend power but it's hot, I'd look into a Whipple when (if) they release that intercooler kit. Otherwise I'd look at the Radix.

Your truck would run best with a tune. Also with a blower your 4L60E is going to explode pretty fast...so be ready as you are forwarned.

If you already have the ported heads, as long as they aren't milled I'd keep them. If they are milled, try to off them on an LS1 powered person.