Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

crank pinning info please! Blacksheep?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank pinning info please! Blacksheep?

My factory crank pulley fell off twice already so I need to know if someone installed the ATI pin kit that I just ordered. I have got to get this thing on. I searched and found some info on the radix pin kit but not the ATI. Blacksheep did one I was told. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

I was told I had to take off the water pump to get my drill straight. But how in the hell do you get a hole through the pulley?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pinned mine with Magnacharger's kit.It used a guilde to drill the pulley on both sides,a reamer to clean the holes and pins to go in the reamed out openings. It was simple to do with the truck on a lift.My new motor has a keyed crank so Keith Craft slotted and installed the pulley.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitt1
I pinned mine with Magnacharger's kit.It used a guilde to drill the pulley on both sides,a reamer to clean the holes and pins to go in the reamed out openings. It was simple to do with the truck on a lift.My new motor has a keyed crank so Keith Craft slotted and installed the pulley.
A little off-topic but aren't all cranks keyed? Also,what does yours run with that stout package?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:51 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shandy294
A little off-topic but aren't all cranks keyed? Also,what does yours run with that stout package?

No they are not! ChevyCoonass: PM me for the info on the pinning kit.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnacharger's pinning kit is awesome! The kit is very complete and it is easy to install.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Why would one need a pinning kit and at what point do you need one?
Old 03-05-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

If you are revving so fast that the crank spins at a rate so much faster than the (un)pinned balancer can keep up with, the balancer will slip. Now I didn't do any rotational acceleration calculating including the claming force that bolt provides , but I did find this when I changed cams:

The LS1 F-body and 'Vettes seem to get this problem much more than the Trucks do. I believe that the LS1 accessory brackets put more load on the balancer than the truck mounting brackets do. Therefore, it is easier for the crank to want to spin inside of the balancer. I run LS1 brackets and mine slipped pretty badly, but not anymore
Old 03-05-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

So it "pins" the crank to prevent it from spinning faster than the balancer which causes the scoring in the pic? Thank you very much. Very clear explanation Other than seeing the scoring, is there any other tell tale sign that this would be needed?
Old 03-06-2005, 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

Yup. Here is a picture of what the magnacharger pinning kit looks like installed. Notice it places two pins in between the crank and pulley. Other than scoring, there is only one other way I know that you can tell things aren't well. If the pulley backs its way off of the crank snout you may need to pin. Make sure you torque the crank pulley bolt in correctly when finished pinning
Old 03-15-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My crank pulley is mangled. I need a new one. keeps coming loose and is causing false knock I think. anyone have a part number? also, can that pinning kit be purchased directly from Magnacharger?

Quick Reply: crank pinning info please! Blacksheep?