Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Crank pulley coming off??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank pulley coming off??

Ok fellas, have a couple problems with the truck lately.

1:

Truck's been shredding belts like no other. Several months ago the AC belt came off. I didn't think anything of it until a while later the gatorback belt shredded itself (split all the way around in the middle.) I replaced the belt with a new one, moved a platic clip that appeared to be touching. Shredded it again. Babied the truck around for a week or so, pulled the RPM's up above 4k, toast again. So I looked really closely checking for all the pulleys to line up, found an out of round idler (barely) replaced it and put a new belt on again. Wrapped it up to about 5500 a few times with the hood up, shut her down and noticed the belt had shifted back (towards the back of the truck) a tooth. I looked at the crank pulley and I could see some "shiney" on the "snout" of the pulley (where the timing cover seal should touch). I took the truck home and compared it to my pop's 99 and my pulley is sticking out about 3/16" further than his (eyeball estimate.) Keep in mind the pulley has been removed before, but it is the stock crank pulley. When I put it back on I used a new bolt and tightened it down as much as I possibly could.

2 options:

Pulley is coming off, either backed out the bolt or stripped it (not likely stripped though)

Crank walk from the tranny swap? Is this possible on these motors. I've never heard of it happening though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Next problem. The truck appears to have a misfire. when reving the motor from idle it hesitates just off idle, and just doesn't seem to run very well. I have not adjusted the tune since a while before the issue started. A while back I replaced the plugs (3-4k miles) and found one black fouled plug, but some dumbass mixed them up so I didn't know which one it came from. I pulled the plugs today and they all looked fine. Started it up, hesitates and just doesn't run "good." Also, the truck (especially when cold) will fall on its face at really low RPMs. For instance you shift into 2nd gear early (remember it's a T56 tranny) and the rpms are only 1k it will bog really bad and take a second to catch up.

Keep in mind I put the stock 3.4" pulley back on about a week ago due to my belt problems.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Tribe Shaman

i think your going to be taking it apart this weekend.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

Spun the balancer maybe? and backed out the balacer bolt... Damn, 250ftlbs and the bolt might have walked......

Hope everything turns out ok, but it sounds like you atleast found your belt shredding issues...... Just when your having fun.........

Jimbob
Old 03-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Launching!

Most likely you have broken the bolt lose on the crank. I've done this twice myself with my Whipple. You'll need to key the crank.

Next problem sounds like you might have killed an injector. Check your fuel pressure while driving also.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Was it squeeling? When I did my cam swap we thought we had everything lined up, but there was some squeeling a day or two later. I checked the pulley alignment by eye a few times and saw nothing out of the ordinary. After a few days I checked again and the crank pulley was WAY out of alignment. Hit it with the gun again and all was good for a few weeks and then I would hear an ever so slight squeel. Now it sounds like a banshee. Im going to try to tighten it down with a big breaker bar with loc tite, but I may just get another bolt and try again. Have you gotten anywhere with it?
I could be way off, but have you logged a misfire? The symptoms sound like mine. I need to tune the throttle/ idle tables. It had a PO300 misfire code that was just from the oversensitive knock sensors picking up the louder valve closings from the cam.
Let me check what the tables are.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Read Dewey's post. I hope it's not YOUR problem, but.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257878
Old 04-06-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
Read Dewey's post. I hope it's not YOUR problem, but.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257878
I dont think so. I did have to spring for a Dewalt impact wrench (340lb/ ft) and now Im on the search for a 24mm 6 point impact socket. No one has them and I cant drive the truck until I get one .