Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

crank pulley removal problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry crank pulley removal problems

I picked up a set of asp pulleys and tried to install them this weekend. I got the clutch fan and alternator pulley off pretty easily, but the crank pulley wouldn't come off. I tried using an impact gun, then I tried using a big *** breaker bar and a hammer. Nothing would make it budge. Any tips?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Launching!

3 jaw puller, look on ls1howto.com under f-body cam install, it has a good write up, for a cam install which includes pulling the pulley
Old 07-28-2007, 01:43 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

try the correct puller, makes the job MUCH easier!

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...&postcount=178
Old 07-28-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like he can't even get the crank bolt broken loose. They are tight as hell. It will take a big *** impact gun. First time I pulled mine I tried my normal impact gun and it would budge. My son-n-law had to bring over his like 800 lb/ft impact to get it loose and it still took a while. To tighten it correctly I needed a 3ft breaker bar along with another 3ft of cheater bar and a lot of *** at that. They are pains...
Old 07-28-2007, 02:25 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Sounds like he can't even get the crank bolt broken loose. They are tight as hell. It will take a big *** impact gun. First time I pulled mine I tried my normal impact gun and it would budge. My son-n-law had to bring over his like 800 lb/ft impact to get it loose and it still took a while. To tighten it correctly I needed a 3ft breaker bar along with another 3ft of cheater bar and a lot of *** at that. They are pains...
I was able to get mine off manually, I used a 1/2" breaker bar, having the kent-moore crank holding tool makes things ALOT easier, however, I used a breaker bar when I did mine
Old 07-28-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moregrip
I was able to get mine off manually, I used a 1/2" breaker bar, having the kent-moore crank holding tool makes things ALOT easier, however, I used a breaker bar when I did mine
Yeah the kent moore will make it a lot easier. I have it now but haven't tried it.
Not being able to lock the engine is the primary reason I removed the bolt with an impact. It's also what makes torquing down the bolt correctly a pain and the reason (I think) we see so many pullies spun on SC applications, they aren't torqued down correctly.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an appropriate 3-jaw puller, that's not the problem. The problem is getting the bolt out. The impact gun I have worked fine for the alternator pulley, but I guess its just not enough for the crank Looks like I'll have to take it to a shop.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:48 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by 01Blue4.8
I have an appropriate 3-jaw puller, that's not the problem. The problem is getting the bolt out. The impact gun I have worked fine for the alternator pulley, but I guess its just not enough for the crank Looks like I'll have to take it to a shop.
have you tried this?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a version of the above. I stuck a tire tool into the pulley and wedged it against the frame. Then used the breaker bar from above. I laid my stomach on the radiator support and pulled like hell.

I've also heard of people wedging the breaker bar onto the frame or ground and bumping the starter, but didn't try that because of the obvious danger of breaking stuff. That's the russian roulette method I guess.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01Blue4.8
Don't give up dude. What Moregrip has pictured above will work. Take the money you are going to spend having a shop do it and invest in the tools to do it yourself. A big **** impact or what Grippy has pictured. Just don't use the an impact going back together.

Quick Reply: crank pulley removal problems