Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

CROSSPOST: FLP vs. Rossler vs. Local shop + parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette curb weight = ~3300 lbs
Silverado curb weight = ~5300 lbs

That would easily make a difference between a stout, fun tranny, and a dead tranny.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
single digit dreamer

couple of thoughts.

FLP rocks, with what you are talking about i would sugest doing what i am doing. FLP 4l80e, PI 10.5" triple disk. i dont know anything about rosler but i do know chuck and he realy does take care of the customer. in your truck i would be comfortable to mid 11's with one of his latest 4l60's with a few low 11's tossed in. i was probably running mid 11's when i broke his last one and he made some upgrades based on what broke.

here is the problem, a built 408 at 15psi is going to be a 10sec truck. a t67 wont feed it, 44lb injectors wont feed it, your going to need something like twin intank pumps, the rear STS kit is probably not a great idea on that set up either.

W2W might have a solution for your set up as far as the tcase if you swap to a 4L80e. you could just run a manual tcase and leave it locked in, i leave mine locked into 4wd all the time. it does jump a little around turns but only when i really crank the wheel like doing a u turn.

sound like you want to go fast, how fast do you want to go? depending on how quick you want to run you might have to step back are look at your plan again.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that it would be that bad to get a built 80E and a manual T-case, but that does *somewhat* defeat the purpose of awd, but not that much. I do know that if we could find the specs on an output shaft of a 80E adapted to a 60E transfer case that would probably be the best way to go. I have friends at machine shops who would probably be willing to at the very least try to build one, because we really need a product like that.

Leaving off with that, I think that a level 5 FLP would hold up for quite a while with the power that you are planning on running. I wouldn't plan on that tranny lasting too long though. Guess it just matters how much you are willing to pay to play. Either way I think that you would be happy.

Aaron
Old 08-10-2004, 04:19 PM
single digit dreamer

there is one benifit to a hd case. you can flip the lever into 2wd if you want to dyno it.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:47 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help guys. I am still no where near a decision, and the truck really wants me to be, I think (tranny temp was 199 last night during tuning run and slipping a little this a.m. )

Parish, I've been thinking about the 80E again -- I can get the stock 80E shaft and awd gear and am thinking of having a new shaft turned and splined (out of something strong like titanium or adamantium or something). Even with that, though, it sounds like a pretty custom install. Do you have an idea of how much longer the 80E is than the 60/65E? From the site, it looks like a couple of inches or so?

Beyond the new cross member, shafts, and spearco plug adapters, can you think of any major bits of fabrication?

How fast did you run the stock 80e with the shift kit?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:04 PM
single digit dreamer

the 80 with a shift kit is all i had on my 10.91 run. i think the mount was 3" back.

one thing no one has tried as far is i know is to get the input hub from a hd case and try and install it into a awd case. from the outside every case i have seen look the same. like the exact same case just diferent holes drilled and stuff. good chance they share some internal parts.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.woracing.com/truck/80e%20swap/100_1047.JPG

There is a picture of the 2 side by side. They are the same length with the tail shaft housing on them. I dunno what they will be like without then though.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
here is the problem, a built 408 at 15psi is going to be a 10sec truck. a t67 wont feed it, 44lb injectors wont feed it, your going to need something like twin intank pumps, the rear STS kit is probably not a great idea on that set up either.
I have now what TurboBerserker is building. The 408 (9:1CR), GT-70 STS Turbo (not installed yet), 60lb injectors and twin Walbro intank pumps. Also shooting for 15lbs of boost. We'll see how it all works together when the motor gets broke in.

Why is it you think the STS way, may not be a good idea? Just curious. It will need an intercooler to be efficient at that much boost, that I know, or methanol.

I still have the 4L65E. It has been built, but not by FLP or Rossler. It may not last for many 15lb runs, but that is not where the average person is going to be the majority of the time. I don't doubt the strength of either company's products, but don't see any real magic in what they do. Their parts are the same ones that can be bought in the aftermarket world. They may machine some of them, but unless they are doing it out of titanium, they are no stronger than what can be had elsewhere. That's just my personal opinion, which doesn't account for much.

Hopefully, Turbo can figure out the 80E equation for the SS owners. If I ever break, that will be where I head.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:39 PM
single digit dreamer

hey ben, i am not slaming the sts kit, i have been watching the progress and am impresed with some of the numbers i am seeing. no one has tried pushing gobs of air with an sts kit and i think a 408 at 15psi will be gobs of air. most people agree puting the turbo in the rear isn't as good as up front and on an all out project like you guys are doing why would you not go with a traditional turbo set up? the price diference is minimal.

the deal with FLP is the costomer service. he does have some custom parts but i dont know enugh about trannys to tell you what they are. back when i was shoping for a tranny i asked who to go with and at least 50% of the responces were saying FLP. the other 50% were spread between several companys.

rpm, cfm, airflow(lb/min)
1000 190.74 14.14
2000 381.48 28.29
3000 572.22 42.43
4000 762.96 56.57
5000 953.7 70.72
6000 1144.44 84.86
7000 1335.19 99

those numbers come from a air flow calculator. 408, 85%ve, 15psi, 77deg air, 80%intercooler.

here is a chart for a t70

looks like a t70 might do what you want but it is really cuting it close. t76 would probably be better. what kind of exhaust presure will it take to spin a t70 to over 100,000 rpm with the turbo mounted in the rear.

dont get me wrong, i think it is great that you are trying it. no one has tried it so no one really knows if it will work. i can't wait to see some numbers from your set up.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:52 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am actually looking at a GT42, GT70, or larger. STS is working with me on the sizing, and is really good in their commitment to getting the turbo sized correctly. It's my understanding that the difference between a GT70 and a T70 is that the GT70 has the "more efficient" GT impeller with the T70 compressor. The GT4x series is GT on both the impeller and compressor sides.

I think Rick Squire pushed some major air in testing -- he actually exceed the his motor's capability with a GT42 (but I think it was stock cubes at the time -- not sure on that). I believe he's now running a 396 and a GT70 or 72?

I am thinking a GT42 is probably too big to be streetable (hit at 4800 or something like that for Rick), but we'll see.

Its all moot for me until I figure this damn tranny thing out. Its gonna me to

Quick Reply: CROSSPOST: FLP vs. Rossler vs. Local shop + parts